Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jie Feng <Ji...@citrix.com> on 2012/12/19 19:10:57 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update

Thanks Sebastian for trying to bring it to consensus. I like to separate each item and make sure we have consensus on all of them. I am also including the user community (in addition to dev) per Alex's recommendation.

Here is the wiki site for the Marketplace Proposal:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Marketplace+Proposal

Here are items we need consensus on:
1. Separation of the marketplace code from the listing repository.
We have reached consensus on this one.

2. The community will not run an Apache listing repository.
We have reached consensus on this one. I will modify the Wiki shortly.

3. Place marketplace code in source code tree.
There are people supporting this, and there are people not supporting this when we talked about Marketplaceplace as a whole. When we separate marketplace code from the listing repository, majority of the folks responded seems to be ok with this.

4. Disable Marketplace by default or not including any listing repository by default.
The community in general seems to be concerned about including a third party listing repository by default. My question is if third parties do run a listing repository, how do we make CloudStack admins and users aware of this? And in general, how do we help folks who build value-added offerings on top of CloudStack to reach the admins and users of the CloudStack community? In my opinion, for an open source project to be successful, an ecosystem is very important. My original goal is to design the Marketplace in such a way that the listings are very easily accessible by admins and users, and have place for the ecosystem to participate (think iPhone and iPhone apps).

Jie

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 19, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Jie Feng <Ji...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Thanks Sebastian for trying to bring it to consensus. I like to separate each item and make sure we have consensus on all of them. I am also including the user community (in addition to dev) per Alex's recommendation.
>
> Here is the wiki site for the Marketplace Proposal:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Marketplace+Proposal
>
> Here are items we need consensus on:
> 1. Separation of the marketplace code from the listing repository.
> We have reached consensus on this one.
>
> 2. The community will not run an Apache listing repository.
> We have reached consensus on this one. I will modify the Wiki shortly.
>
> 3. Place marketplace code in source code tree.
> There are people supporting this, and there are people not supporting this when we talked about Marketplaceplace as a whole. When we separate marketplace code from the listing repository, majority of the folks responded seems to be ok with this.

I had not made the distinction, I thought marketplace = listing repo. IMHO, the marketplace is a functionality very different than the CloudStack orchestration.
There are possible comparison out there: Usharesoft has a marketplace, Amysta is a third party metering system etc…they extend CloudStack and bring value to the users but they do not enhance the core orchestration.

So I would vote -1 on this

> 4. Disable Marketplace by default or not including any listing repository by default.
> The community in general seems to be concerned about including a third party listing repository by default. My question is if third parties do run a listing repository, how do we make CloudStack admins and users aware of this? And in general, how do we help folks who build value-added offerings on top of CloudStack to reach the admins and users of the CloudStack community? In my opinion, for an open source project to be successful, an ecosystem is very important. My original goal is to design the Marketplace in such a way that the listings are very easily accessible by admins and users, and have place for the ecosystem to participate (think iPhone and iPhone apps).

The many marketplaces that may develop from your code (by grabbing it from github for instance) will be part of the ecosystem and bring value to the users. But IMHO we cannot show bias towards one or the other.  There is also a huge security issue underlying all of this, and speaking for myself, I certainly would not want to see a user come back with his lawyers and say "You Apache CloudStack have this marketplace enabled by default, we used an image from this marketplace and it was the source of a $1B loss for our company". Security, audit, provenance are missing from your proposal.

What we could do I think is list CloudStack compatible marketplaces on our website and let the users choose. I don't want to push something on the users, they should pull it understanding the risks.

From a practical standpoint, I would love to see a working marketplace out there (starting with just images) and a CloudStack patch for the marketplace client.
The client side I believe would be as welcome as things like the many storage backends integration that have been submitted or even the nicira integration.

+1 on disabling by default and not including default repos.

-sebastien

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
On Dec 19, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Jie Feng <Ji...@citrix.com> wrote:
> 4. Disable Marketplace by default or not including any listing repository by default.
> The community in general seems to be concerned about including a third party listing repository by default. My question is if third parties do run a listing repository, how do we make CloudStack admins and users aware of this? And in general, how do we help folks who build value-added offerings on top of CloudStack to reach the admins and users of the CloudStack community? In my opinion, for an open source project to be successful, an ecosystem is very important. My original goal is to design the Marketplace in such a way that the listings are very easily accessible by admins and users, and have place for the ecosystem to participate (think iPhone and iPhone apps).

This is an interesting concern - my response would be to ask "How do vendors in the Eclipse community get potential customers to know about their 3rd party repositories?" It seems to happen just fine. From a business perspective, you don't advertise your repo, you advertise your awesome functionality that people will want, then when they ask how to get it, the repo is mentioned.

So the goal of this ACS marketplace integration should be to make it as easy as possible for a CloudStack user to either add a repo into their ACS install, or to visit a marketplace and then get the resulting acquisition (funds may be transferred or no) into their ACS install. If it's easy (within Apache limits), it'll get used.

Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

The many marketplaces that may develop from your code (by grabbing it from github for instance) will be part of the ecosystem and bring value to the users. But IMHO we cannot show bias towards one or the other.  There is also a huge security issue underlying all of this, and speaking for myself, I certainly would not want to see a user come back with his lawyers and say "You Apache CloudStack have this marketplace enabled by default, we used an image from this marketplace and it was the source of a $1B loss for our company". Security, audit, provenance are missing from your proposal.

What we could do I think is list CloudStack compatible marketplaces on our website and let the users choose. I don't want to push something on the users, they should pull it understanding the risks.

From a practical standpoint, I would love to see a working marketplace out there (starting with just images) and a CloudStack patch for the marketplace client.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

The many marketplaces that may develop from your code (by grabbing it from github for instance) will be part of the ecosystem and bring value to the users. But IMHO we cannot show bias towards one or the other.  There is also a huge security issue underlying all of this, and speaking for myself, I certainly would not want to see a user come back with his lawyers and say "You Apache CloudStack have this marketplace enabled by default, we used an image from this marketplace and it was the source of a $1B loss for our company". Security, audit, provenance are missing from your proposal.

What we could do I think is list CloudStack compatible marketplaces on our website and let the users choose. I don't want to push something on the users, they should pull it understanding the risks.

From a practical standpoint, I would love to see a working marketplace out there (starting with just images) and a CloudStack patch for the marketplace client.

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

The many marketplaces that may develop from your code (by grabbing it from github for instance) will be part of the ecosystem and bring value to the users. But IMHO we cannot show bias towards one or the other.  There is also a huge security issue underlying all of this, and speaking for myself, I certainly would not want to see a user come back with his lawyers and say "You Apache CloudStack have this marketplace enabled by default, we used an image from this marketplace and it was the source of a $1B loss for our company". Security, audit, provenance are missing from your proposal.

What we could do I think is list CloudStack compatible marketplaces on our website and let the users choose. I don't want to push something on the users, they should pull it understanding the risks.

From a practical standpoint, I would love to see a working marketplace out there (starting with just images) and a CloudStack patch for the marketplace client.