Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "cto@object-universe.com" <ct...@object-universe.com> on 2006/09/10 16:39:25 UTC

easiest version of linux for subversion

My company is trying to set up a Linux server
specifcally to hold a subversion source code
repository, and therefore at the moment we have
complete freedom.  All that is set is the (somewhat
underpowered) box we intend to use.  I will admit that
we all are primarily Windows programmers although I
did put myself through grad school as a unix sysadmin
(I am not admitting how long ago that was).

I know that subversion is compatible with many
versions of Linux.  I was wondernig given an open
choice whether there are some that would be especially
easy to install.  The target hardware is a 300 MHz
Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.  Our current source
code repository is also somewhat small but we are a
distributed programming group and trying to stay in
sync via emailed zip files is not working very well.
I also have a local SourceSafe but, to be blunt, even
though I have used it extensively it is not my
favorite system.  We desperately need a more powerful
system available to all our programmers.

Thanks for any help.  Please copy me directly on

Cheers,

Lyman Hurd
Object Universe

FOURTH AMENDMENT [U.S. Constitution] - 'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Frank Gruman wrote:
> cto@object-universe.com wrote:
>> My company is trying to set up a Linux server
>> specifcally to hold a subversion source code
>> repository, and therefore at the moment we have
>>
> As much as it makes me <choke> to say this - why not just run Subversion
> on a Windows box?  If you are not familiar with managing a Linux server,
> is now the right time to start?

Instructions for Windows can be found here:

http://www.subversionary.org/howto/setting-up-a-server-on-windows

> If you are looking to start, my flavor of choice is SUSE.  I use the
> free, open source flavor at home for my projects there, and my work
> repository is hosted on a SLES installation.

I use Fedora Core, I have instructions for FC4 here:

http://www.subversionary.org/howto/setting-up-a-server-on-fedora-core-4

FC5 will be very similar (looking at the instructions I don't believe
that there are any differences).

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

Visit http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Quoting Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>:

> cto@object-universe.com wrote:
>> My company is trying to set up a Linux server
>> specifcally to hold a subversion source code
>> repository, and therefore at the moment we have
>> complete freedom.  All that is set is the (somewhat
>> underpowered) box we intend to use.  I will admit that
>> we all are primarily Windows programmers although I
>> did put myself through grad school as a unix sysadmin
>> (I am not admitting how long ago that was).
>>
>> I know that subversion is compatible with many
>> versions of Linux.  I was wondernig given an open
>> choice whether there are some that would be especially
>> easy to install.  The target hardware is a 300 MHz
>> Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.  Our current source
>> code repository is also somewhat small but we are a
>> distributed programming group and trying to stay in
>> sync via emailed zip files is not working very well. I also have a
>> local SourceSafe but, to be blunt, even
>> though I have used it extensively it is not my
>> favorite system.  We desperately need a more powerful
>> system available to all our programmers.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.  Please copy me directly on
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Lyman Hurd
>> Object Universe
>>

> As much as it makes me <choke> to say this - why not just run
> Subversion on a Windows box?  If you are not familiar with managing a
> Linux server, is now the right time to start?
>
> If you are looking to start, my flavor of choice is SUSE.  I use the
> free, open source flavor at home for my projects there, and my work
> repository is hosted on a SLES installation.
>
> Regards,
> Frank

I second that. The Subversion development team has done an amazing job
in their Windows support. Yes, it is written in C; but that doesn't
mean they have to actually support it. God bless them.

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by "cto@object-universe.com" <ct...@object-universe.com>.
Well our ceo refused to believe that my free P-II was
capable of supporting anything :-), so he found a used
P-4 more like 2.5 GHz.  With some assistance from a
Linux fan friend of his we are now up and running with
Slackware.  Our PC's all have TortoiseSVN installed
and we are happily using our new system.

Thanks again to all who replied.  I'll be sure to drop
a note if anything comes up!

Cheers,

Lyman

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Jeff Marder wrote:
> Frank does make an excellent point here. As much as I despise Windows
> there is really nothing wrong with running Subversion on it. I don't
> know that it would be such a great idea on a P2 300 with 128 MB RAM, but
> if you can get a better machine it's certainly worth considering.

P2 300MHz w/ 128MB?  Maybe a Win2000 server in a pinch, but a stripped
down Linux system would probably be a better bet.  Slowest machine that
I've tried Subversion on is a Gentoo Linux Celeron 566MHz (Pentium III
equivalent) with 320MB of RAM and slow 5400 RPM disks that do 15-20MB/s
data rates.  Biggest issue I had was disk speed issues until I moved the
RAID1 disks over to an add-in PCI card (to go from 4MB/s up to 15-20MB/s).

Probably the hardest part that they're going to have to deal with is
getting something like Apache2 up and running and talking correctly to
SVN.  I've mastered using a local SVN repository to manage my /etc
configuration files on the same machine, but the complexities of
SVN+Apache2 or SVN+SSH (which I got working, briefly) are possibly a bit
much if you're not familiar with Linux/Unix/Solaris.

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Subversion runs extremely well on Windows. I use Ruby and Perl
scripts for hooks and backups. It "just works".

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, sub paul wrote:
>
>> I vote for for Ubuntu or Debian. My reason, apt-get.
>>
>> apt-get install subversion
>> (thats all folks!)
>
> fedora core:
>
> # yum install subversion
>
> rday

# emerge subversion

(Gentoo)

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, sub paul wrote:

> I vote for for Ubuntu or Debian. My reason, apt-get.
>
> apt-get install subversion
> (thats all folks!)

fedora core:

# yum install subversion

rday

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by sub paul <su...@gmail.com>.
I vote for for Ubuntu or Debian. My reason, apt-get.

apt-get install subversion
(thats all folks!)

Since I played with debian about 4 years ago, I have not looked back yet.

I like Ubuntu because its based on Debian :) and I feel its more friendly to
maintain for a user who is not used to command line that much.

However, other distributions also have similar tools like yum and may be
something else. I just happen to have really ( I mean really) good
experience with apt-get.

In linux, client of choice is eSVN , and on windows I prefer TortoiseSVN.

HTH,
Paul

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
cto@object-universe.com wrote:
> Collectively thanks to everyone for the feedback.  To
> add some perspective, this is a consulting shop and
> not the "day job" for any of us although we all do
> work in different locations.  The box we were going to
> dedicate came to me for free (cannot beat the price)
> and getting a Windows license for it would far exceed
> the fair market value of the hardware.  And to be
> perfectly honest several of us have wanted to set up a
> LInux box because it would be cool.
>
> Again the threads have bene helpful.  My friend (our
> CEO) is also getting help from a friend of his who is
> a Linux expert but I wanted a starting point.

I'd recommend dropping 2 disks in, using Linux's software RAID at a
minimum.  Maybe even a 3rd disk as a backup target (or a hot spare).
Which would be very similar to the Gentoo box that we run for our
consulting side-line.  It's a cheap little Celeron 566MHz that still has
a few ISA slots in it.

Make sure with such limited hardware that you ditch any sort of
graphical shell.  (i.e. on our Gentoo box, there is no X installed at
all).  I'd still try to dig up more RAM somewhere, but a stripped down
Linux box will handle SVN pretty easily even with only 128MB.

Whatever Linux you use, do yourself a favor and put your /etc tree and
any other configuration files that you edit (or that is changed via a
tool) into Subversion.  It can just be a local repository.  That'll give
you peace of mind that you can always roll back changes to a
configuration file.  Combine that with some sort of snapshot backup
system that uses hard links on a daily/weekly basis and you've got an
easy to use backup system as well.

(Lastly, VSS is better then no version control at all.  I've used it in
small shops since mid-1999 and have slowly been trying to move to SVN.
It's much-maligned, but still beats the old method of everyone in the
room trying to keep track of everyone else's code changes without any
organization at all.  But VSS does poorly over WAN links and you run a
high risk of repository corruption as a result.  So we've been using
SourceOffSite in addition for a few years.)

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by "cto@object-universe.com" <ct...@object-universe.com>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Marder <je...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Even better you can download vmware images for free, run them on the vmware
player for free. There are at least 3 images that are set up specifically
for running subversion.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you are not yet too familiar with Linux, I would suggest one of the
> Ubuntu variants. I also like Debian (as does one of the other posters), but
> I admit that Ubuntu (either "plain" Ubuntu with GNOME or Kubuntu with KDE)
> are easier to install. AFAIK, there's also a server variant called "Ubuntu
> Server" which is certified for MySQL and DB2 (just mentioned this to show
> you that larger companies start to take Ubuntu serious).
>
> If you are unfamiliar with Linux, I suggest using a live distro like Knoppix
> and play a bit around with it in order to get used to Linux.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> 	Holger

Before we start a war on preferred Linux variants, I think it would be
safe to say that every flavor has pros and cons as well as their
champions among us.  I think it really comes down to the end user doing
their own research and picking the flavor that works best for them.

The box you have set aside for your repository sounds like you may not
have a full commitment to shift to Subversion yet.  If this is the case,
good luck getting Windows installed and operating on that machine.  If
you are serious about getting a production server for your repository
then I would get that server and set it up and do all of your initial
testing / work on that.  Once you are happy that all works well, make a
copy of that and load it onto your smaller box for later testing to
avoid messing up what would now be your production box.  Windoze OS
performance on that smaller box will be painful, but would still work.

If the smaller box is intended to be production - see the first
paragraph.  I'd install a desktop manager, but set your default runlevel
to 3 and set up something like FreeNX if you like the GUI configuration
once in a while.  This would ensure free resources for other things in
the background.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Frnak

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> I know that subversion is compatible with many
> versions of Linux.  I was wondernig given an open
> choice whether there are some that would be especially
> easy to install.  The target hardware is a 300 MHz
> Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.

The machine serving the http://hix.nu/svn-public/ repositories is a
PII-350Mhz, but with 384MB RAM. Next to that, it's serving several
domains, hosting a mail server, running a Subversion continuous
intergation client (see http://www.mobsol.be/buildbot/), generating
and publishing subversion .pot files (translation) every hour,
continuously logged into IRC and then some more.

The disc system is a SCSI disk for the repositories.

I must say though that commits are rarely bigger than 1MB.

The machine is running Debian Linux, but given the age of the
Subversion package available for it, I wouldn't recommend Debian. (I
compiled my own...)

HTH,

Erik.

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Shaun Johnson <sh...@gmail.com>.
Lyman,

A copy of Windows 2000 Pro should run okay on that box, but adding a little
memory would help big time. It would also be a smart choice to dedicate this
box to only running SVN.

If you go with Linux check out DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/). It's
extremely lean and will run fine with only 128MB of memory. It can be
installed to the disk drive and behaves like Debian.

Shaun

Re: Small MacPorts tutorial, thanks ;-) (Was: Re: easiest version of linux for subversion)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 09:53, Holger Rauch wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Just download the MacPorts disk image and run the
>> installer, then run "sudo port install subversion" and you've got
>> Subversion. If you wanted to serve your repository with Apache 2,
>> instead run "sudo port install subversion +mod_dav_svn" to also get
>> Apache 2 and the mod_dav_svn module. To keep up to date, periodically
>> (monthly?) run "sudo port selfupdate" and then "sudo port -u upgrade
>> outdated" to receive new versions of any of your installed ports and
>> the MacPorts base system.
>> [...]
>
> thanks a lot for this excellent little tutorial on using MacPorts!
> I've
> recently bought a Mac Mini and now I finally know how to specify
> variants of
> a port from the cmd line. Putting the stuff in ports.conf
> ufortunately didn't
> do the job for me. Also, I've not yet upgraded the installed
> MacPorts, so I
> found this hint very helpful as well.

Glad to help. Feel free to join us over on the MacPorts Users mailing
list and ask any other questions you have.

Small MacPorts tutorial, thanks ;-) (Was: Re: easiest version of linux for subversion)

Posted by Holger Rauch <ho...@heitec.de>.
Hi Ryan,

thanks a lot for this excellent little tutorial on using MacPorts! I've
recently bought a Mac Mini and now I finally know how to specify variants of
a port from the cmd line. Putting the stuff in ports.conf ufortunately didn't
do the job for me. Also, I've not yet upgraded the installed MacPorts, so I
found this hint very helpful as well.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> [...]
> Just download the MacPorts disk image and run the
> installer, then run "sudo port install subversion" and you've got
> Subversion. If you wanted to serve your repository with Apache 2,
> instead run "sudo port install subversion +mod_dav_svn" to also get
> Apache 2 and the mod_dav_svn module. To keep up to date, periodically
> (monthly?) run "sudo port selfupdate" and then "sudo port -u upgrade
> outdated" to receive new versions of any of your installed ports and
> the MacPorts base system.
> [...]

Kind regards,

	Holger

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
On Sep 11, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Mark Lacas wrote:

> Any idea of when Subersion 1.4.0 will appear in Mac Ports?
> The latest I see is 1.3.2.

Consider that 1.4.0 was released YESTERDAY, you might want to give
them a few minutes to include the released code in Mac Ports ...

-a

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Mark Lacas wrote:
> Any idea of when Subersion 1.4.0 will appear in Mac Ports?
> The latest I see is 1.3.2.

MacPorts now has Subversion 1.4.0.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Mark Lacas <ju...@stuffthis.net>.
Any idea of when Subersion 1.4.0 will appear in Mac Ports?
The latest I see is 1.3.2.
Thanks,
ml

On Sep 11, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2006, at 18:39, cto@object-universe.com wrote:
>
>> My company is trying to set up a Linux server
>> specifcally to hold a subversion source code
>> repository, and therefore at the moment we have
>> complete freedom.  All that is set is the (somewhat
>> underpowered) box we intend to use.  I will admit that
>> we all are primarily Windows programmers although I
>> did put myself through grad school as a unix sysadmin
>> (I am not admitting how long ago that was).
>>
>> I know that subversion is compatible with many
>> versions of Linux.  I was wondernig given an open
>> choice whether there are some that would be especially
>> easy to install.  The target hardware is a 300 MHz
>> Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.  Our current source
>> code repository is also somewhat small but we are a
>> distributed programming group and trying to stay in
>> sync via emailed zip files is not working very well.
>> I also have a local SourceSafe but, to be blunt, even
>> though I have used it extensively it is not my
>> favorite system.  We desperately need a more powerful
>> system available to all our programmers.
>
> Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll put in my 2¢ for Mac OS X.
> You'd need to buy a Mac, but a Mac mini is not very expensive
> considering what you get, and it already has a fully-functioning
> and auto-updating OS installed on it with an award-winning and easy-
> to-use GUI, so all you'd need to worry about is installing
> Subversion, which is also painfully easy if you use a package
> manager like MacPorts [1]. Just download the MacPorts disk image
> and run the installer, then run "sudo port install subversion" and
> you've got Subversion. If you wanted to serve your repository with
> Apache 2, instead run "sudo port install subversion +mod_dav_svn"
> to also get Apache 2 and the mod_dav_svn module. To keep up to
> date, periodically (monthly?) run "sudo port selfupdate" and then
> "sudo port -u upgrade outdated" to receive new versions of any of
> your installed ports and the MacPorts base system.
>
> There are of course other ways to install Subversion on Mac OS X,
> including handy Installer packages that don't require the whole
> MacPorts infrastructure, but I don't think they offer Apache as
> well, and in any case you're then responsible for noticing updates
> yourself, whereas MacPorts makes that as easy as two commands,
> which you could even shove into a crontab if you like, mailing you
> the output so you know when things were upgraded.
>
> Mac OS X is of course Unix under the hood (similar to FreeBSD) so
> if you wanted to play with that kind of an operating system, you
> could still do that on a Mac.
>

> [1] http://www.macports.org

Bible 2.1 (GOP New Illustrated Standardized King Jimmy Version now
with ACTION! Jesus and his robot sidekick, Apostletron 3000)

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 10, 2006, at 18:39, cto@object-universe.com wrote:

> My company is trying to set up a Linux server
> specifcally to hold a subversion source code
> repository, and therefore at the moment we have
> complete freedom.  All that is set is the (somewhat
> underpowered) box we intend to use.  I will admit that
> we all are primarily Windows programmers although I
> did put myself through grad school as a unix sysadmin
> (I am not admitting how long ago that was).
>
> I know that subversion is compatible with many
> versions of Linux.  I was wondernig given an open
> choice whether there are some that would be especially
> easy to install.  The target hardware is a 300 MHz
> Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM.  Our current source
> code repository is also somewhat small but we are a
> distributed programming group and trying to stay in
> sync via emailed zip files is not working very well.
> I also have a local SourceSafe but, to be blunt, even
> though I have used it extensively it is not my
> favorite system.  We desperately need a more powerful
> system available to all our programmers.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll put in my 2¢ for Mac OS X.
You'd need to buy a Mac, but a Mac mini is not very expensive
considering what you get, and it already has a fully-functioning and
auto-updating OS installed on it with an award-winning and easy-to-
use GUI, so all you'd need to worry about is installing Subversion,
which is also painfully easy if you use a package manager like
MacPorts [1]. Just download the MacPorts disk image and run the

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Jeff> I'm a big fan of Debian.

I see your Debian and raise you one Ubuntu -- Ubuntu is, roughly,
Debian, but in my humble opinion easier to use (and updated more
frequently).

--
Unix ... is not so much a product as it is a painstakingly compiled
oral history of the hacker subculture.  It is our Gilgamesh epic.

Re: easiest version of linux for subversion

Posted by Jeff Marder <je...@yahoo.com>.
I'm a big fan of Debian. The character mode installer might be a little intimidating to newcomers, but it's really very simple if you have any experience at all installing Linux. Not only do you end up with a lean, resource-friendly system, but apt is an incredible tool for package management. It will make Subversion installation with all its dependencies as easy as executing a single command. Staying up to date is just as easy.

Fedora/RedHat/CentOS is also worth checking out. I'm currently using CentOS for my Subversion server. They have a tool called yum that is very similar to apt on Debian. In my opinion, the most difficult part about managing a Linux machine is package management and both Debian and the RedHat derivatives make this a breeze.