Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Javier <xl...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/10 16:56:39 UTC

Configuration: init problem

Hello

I�ve problems with my first configuration use.

I want to try to load a config file, if it fails,
create a new one.

My code is:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

try {
            pc = new PropertiesConfiguration("a.ini");

        } catch (ConfigurationException ce) {
            try {
                pc = new PropertiesConfiguration();
                pc.addProperty("dbClassName",
"SQLite.JDBCDriver");
                pc.addProperty("dbURL",
"jdbc:sqlite://sogox.db");
                pc.addProperty("phonesFilePath",
"c:\\\\");
                pc.save("a.ini");

            } catch (ConfigurationException ce1) {
                System.err.println(ce.getMessage());
            }
        }

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

but, I received a error message:

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationUtils.getBasePath(Confi
gurationUtils.java:337)

I guess it�s due to the fact that the file doesn�t
exist and then new PropertiesConfiguration gives a
null value.

Well, my doubt is how should I do this ? which is the
"best practice" ? should I use xml instead of
properties ?

Thanks in advance

Javier

Re: Configuration: init problem

Posted by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>.
Javier,

I think you have spotted a bug in [configuration]. Your code should work. If the file name you provide is invalid, a ConfigurationException rather than a NullPointerException should be thrown.

I opened a bugzilla ticket for this bug (no 32236) and will now work on a fix.

Oliver

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.
Javier wrote:

> Thanks for your reply but..How sould my application
> know the file doesn´t exist ? Should check using
> File.exists or should use a Properties method that I
> unknow ?

We do not support optional files yet, you can use the following workaround:

File file = new File("a.ini");
file.createNewFile();
Configuration conf = new PropertiesConfiguration(file);

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: Configuration: init problem

Posted by Javier <xl...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.