Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2018/04/19 08:19:33 UTC

[VOTE]: Xerces-J 2.12.0 Release

Hi all,
    I've uploaded Xerces-J 2.12.0 release candidates to [1] for review. In
this release candidate there are two sets of packages, the main release
built from the trunk [2] and the XML Schema 1.1 release built from the XML
Schema 1.1 development branch [3]. The change summary is available here [4]
in JIRA. 81 issues were resolved.

Test results have been looking good, so I'd like to call an official vote
now on the release.

To start, here's my +1.

Great work everyone.

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xerces/j/2.12.0/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/tags/Xerces-J_2_12_0/
[3]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/tags/Xerces-J_2_12_0-xml-schema-1.1/
[4]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10520&version=12336542

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [VOTE]: Xerces-J 2.12.0 Release

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Cantor, Scott <ca...@osu.edu> wrote:

> > To start, here's my +1.
>
> My project no longer allows use of Xerces-J, so I don't have any direct
> ability to test it, but from a PMC perspective I'll vote +1 given that the
> people who care have done their due diligence.

Do you feel it is responsible to VOTE without even downloading the RC,
checking hashes, and trying to build it?

Gary

Posted by "Cantor, Scott" <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Mukul,

I noticed that the copyright year in the NOTICE file still says 2015. I'm
pretty sure that this needs to be updated.

There's also the discussion on the list about CVE-2018-2799 that we have
an opportunity to address.

I think we should stop the vote on this release candidate and respin with
fixes for these issues.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi  sebb,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/tags/Xerces-J_2_12_0/
>
> Directory revision:1829504 (of 1829520)
>
> > [3]
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/tags/Xerces-J_2_
> 12_0-xml-schema-1.1/
>
> Directory revision:1829505 (of 1829520)

I agree with these points. When I'm initiating the Vote mail next time,
I'll add these information as well.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 7:59 AM, Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not add SHA1 hashes?
>>

> Please see here about the Apache projects release signing procedure,
> relating to use of SHA,
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#sha-checksum
>
> It says,
> "Please note that further use of SHA-1 should be avoided.
>
> SHA512 is recommended."
>
> I hope this would answer the question.

Yes of course, I did see that, I just got my SHAs mixed up ;-)

Thank you for the clarification.

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Why not add SHA1 hashes?

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 April 2018 at 09:19, Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I've uploaded Xerces-J 2.12.0 release candidates to [1] for review. In
> this release candidate there are two sets of packages, the main release
> built from the trunk [2] and the XML Schema 1.1 release built from the XML
> Schema 1.1 development branch [3]. The change summary is available here [4]
> in JIRA. 81 issues were resolved.
>
> Test results have been looking good, so I'd like to call an official vote
> now on the release.
>
> To start, here's my +1.
>
> Great work everyone.
>
> [1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xerces/j/2.12.0/

MD5 hashes are now deprecated and should please be removed from the
download area (and download page)

[No need to re-run the VOTE for this.]

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [VOTE]: Xerces-J 2.12.0 Release

Posted by David Dillard <Da...@veritas.com>.
Hi,

Can someone please get a CVE for the readObject issue?  I don’t know what the internal ASF process is for that, but ASF is its own CNA so it seems there must be one.

Also, it’d be good to issue a security advisory concurrent with the release announcement.

Regards,

David

   I've fixed all the below mentioned issues that were found in previous RC, within the revised RC for 2.12.0 release. I'll shortly be writing a separate mail, for the Vote for new RC.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 2:29 AM, Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>> wrote:
Should fix the copyright years in the docs too. It currently has: 1999-2014 in the footer of all the pages.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael & all,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,
   Thanks for looking at the release candidate (RC), and your comments.
I'll attempt to fix the points raised by you.

I'll also look at the issues discussed about CVE-2018-2799, in the other
thread. I'll apply the patch suggested by David, for CVE-2018-2799 and run
my tests again to see how that works.

In view of these findings with the RC, I declare that this vote stands
stopped.

After working on the issues raised & preparing a revised RC, I'll start
another vote.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael & all,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.