Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Choi Jongjin <gu...@hotmail.com> on 2005/03/16 18:15:47 UTC

Expanding Java2wsdl to generate wsdd and classes

Hi, all.

I suggest to expand java2wsdl to generate deploy.wsdd and required classes
to deploy.
There are several posts in axis-user list related to Axis/.NET interop and
array handling.

The recommendation for interop is "start-from-WSDL".
"Start-from-WSDL" is good but there are cases where the users may/must
start from Java classes.

The current procedure for "start-from-Java" is :

1. write a java class
2. run 'java2wsdl'
3. run 'wsdl2java' with --server-side or other options using the generated
wsdl of step 2 to get the wsdd and required classes (eg. ArrayOfXXX.java)
4. mix and match the java source/classes of step 1 and that of generated in
step 3.
5. deploy the service

If we can get the deploy.wsdd and required classes from java2wsdl with one
step,
the whole process may be simpler and it will free the user from writing
error-prone hand-written deploy.wsdd in case of not running wsdl2java.

I think that expanded java2wsdl may not need to have the all the options of
current wsdl2java.
Also the generated deploy.wsdd may need to some modification by hand to
deploy in some cases. But the long 5 steps and the painful class mix/match
can be removed.

Also, I think this can ease the integration of Axis with other tools which
use "start-from-Java" style of developement.

I wrote the initial prototype with Axis 1.2RC3, and I feel that it is very
useful for me.
Unless there is a serious objection, I'll file it to JIRA (enhancement) and
commit the patches once it is done clearly.

Any opinion?

Thanks.

PS. The patch also includes the ArrayOfXXX <--> XXX[] conversion to keep
the user's original source code on the server-side.

/Jongjin

Re: Expanding Java2wsdl to generate wsdd and classes

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jongjin,

Need to review the code first :) then we can decide if it can go into 1.2 final.

thx,
dims

Posted by Choi Jongjin <gu...@hotmail.com>.
Dear dims,