Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/01/18 21:57:33 UTC

Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

We been completing allot of work to migrate the apache projects in the
ibiblio maven repository to apache. I'll be highlighting the details of
this somewhere for others to catchup on. Basically the entire
/www/www.apache.org/dist directory is already mirrored at ibiblio. by
moving the java-repository into dist, we now control the publishing of
our projects and not ibiblio. Mirroring supplies ibiblio with our
repository contents and a script is run at ibiblio which now integrates
them into the canonical maven repository.

We now have a Maven Repository located at

/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/...

Since Avalon is publishing distributions to both ibiblio and locally in

/www/www.apache.org/avalon/...

its the most "salient" project where there are now duplicate files
between the java-repository and the dist/avalon directory

http://www.apache.org/~henkp/md5/

I will be glad to assist in finding a way to reduce this duplication.
Two options I can think of are either

1.) avalon migrate its distribution process into java-repository/...

or

2.) we symlink the avalon projects into the java-repository/...

thanks, and as avalon is already working intensively with Maven, I hope
you will find this migration effort beneficial.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory (Jakarta Commons)

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Mark:

I'm digging into this now to try to figure out the best approach here.

Stephen.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:

>>> s/that is mavenized/that is *not* mavenized
>>>
>>> SJM
>>>

>> Good ;-) that scared me for a second...
>

> any news on a RC2?
>
> Steve.

I'm not really a Maven developer, I just play one on TV.

(I'm a primarily a Jakarta Commons developer, taglibraries on the side)

although I am currently writing a PGP plugin for maven that uses
bouncycastle.

The big Maven repository push was really to ease some jar publishing
bottlenecks that we were experiencing in Jakarta Commons.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>> Stephen McConnell wrote:

>>> Certainly not all.  Here is the list:
>>>
>>>   avalon-util
>>>   avalon-meta
>>>   avalon-repository
>>>   avalon-activation
>>>   avalon-composition
>>>   avalon-http
>>>   avalon-jmx
>>>   merlin
>>>   merlin/tutorial
>>

>> So, what I will do is eliminate these from /dist/java-repository
>> because they are already being processed into ibibilo.org/maven by you
>> guys. If you decide you want to have them end up at ibiblio by placing
>> them into /dist/java-repository, then I'll leave that up to you.
>

> Works for me.
>
>>> Keep in mind that can redirect interim content to another location
>>> without too much trouble.
>>>
>>> Stephen.
>>>

>> Can I ask: Who in Avalon is not using maven (this includes ant build
>> scripts generated by maven) as their build tool?
>

> Maven is kind of a prereq (but its a love hate relationship).  I don't
> think ant build scripts are being used for anything by gump related
> stuff.  There is still content in Avalon that is mavenized but its
> growing smaller.

s/that is mavenized/that is *not* mavenized

SJM

  The real missing link is a solid reliable maven

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>
>>> I guess what I need is a list of all the avalon maven project-id's
>>> that your already processing into ibiblio.org/maven/ on your own. Is
>>> this all of avalon, or just parts?
>>

>> Certainly not all.  Here is the list:
>>
>>   avalon-util
>>   avalon-meta
>>   avalon-repository
>>   avalon-activation
>>   avalon-composition
>>   avalon-http
>>   avalon-jmx
>>   merlin
>>   merlin/tutorial
>

> So, what I will do is eliminate these from /dist/java-repository because
> they are already being processed into ibibilo.org/maven by you guys. If
> you decide you want to have them end up at ibiblio by placing them into
> /dist/java-repository, then I'll leave that up to you.

Works for me.

>> Keep in mind that can redirect interim content to another location
>> without too much trouble.
>>
>> Stephen.
>>

> Can I ask: Who in Avalon is not using maven (this includes ant build
> scripts generated by maven) as their build tool?

Maven is kind of a prereq (but its a love hate relationship).  I don't
think ant build scripts are being used for anything by gump related
stuff.  There is still content in Avalon that is mavenized but its
growing smaller.  The real missing link is a solid reliable maven

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Mark:

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
So I belive this leaves behind the following contents. Is it possible to
determine who mainatians or has published this content?

within www.ibiblio.org/maven (and likewise)
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

avalon
avalon-apps
avalon-cornerstone
avalon-extension
avalon-framework
avalon-phoenix

cornerstone-connection
cornerstone-datasources
cornerstone-scheduler
cornerstone-sockets
cornerstone-store
cornerstone-threads

excalibur
excalibur-altrmi
excalibur-cli
excalibur-collections
excalibur-component
excalibur-concurrent
excalibur-configuration
excalibur-containerkit
excalibur-datasource
excalibur-event
excalibur-extension
excalibur-fortress
excalibur-i18n
excalibur-instrument
excalibur-instrument-manager
excalibur-instrument-manager-interfaces
excalibur-io
excalibur-lifecycle
excalibur-logger
excalibur-monitor
excalibur-mpool
excalibur-naming
excalibur-pool
excalibur-sourceresolve
excalibur-store
excalibur-thread
excalibur-util
excalibur-xmlutil

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> [...]
> excalibur-containerkit
> excalibur-datasource
> excalibur-event
> excalibur-extension
> excalibur-fortress
> excalibur-i18n
> excalibur-instrument
> excalibur-instrument-manager
> excalibur-instrument-manager-interfaces
> excalibur-io
> excalibur-lifecycle
> excalibur-logger
> excalibur-monitor
> excalibur-mpool
> excalibur-naming
> excalibur-pool
> excalibur-sourceresolve
> excalibur-store
> excalibur-thread
> excalibur-util
> excalibur-xmlutil
> merlin
> merlin-tutorial
>

> /www/www.apache.org/dist/avalon>
>
> avalon-extension
> avalon-framework
> avalon-meta
> avalon-repository
> cornerstone
> cornerstone-connection-api
> cornerstone-connection-impl
> cornerstone-datasources-api
> cornerstone-datasources-impl
> cornerstone-scheduler-api
> cornerstone-scheduler-impl
> cornerstone-sockets-api
> cornerstone-sockets-impl
> cornerstone-store-api
> cornerstone-store-impl
> cornerstone-threads-api
> cornerstone-threads-impl
> excalibur
> excalibur-compatibility
> excalibur-component
> excalibur-configuration
> excalibur-datasource
> excalibur-event
> excalibur-fortress
> excalibur-i18n
> excalibur-instrument
> excalibur-instrument-manager
> excalibur-lifecycle
> excalibur-logger
> excalibur-monitor
> excalibur-naming
> excalibur-pool
> excalibur-sourceresolve
> excalibur-thread
> framework
> merlin
> phoenix
>
> In terms of whats on ibiblio. Were you already maintaining a separate
> maven repository there? I found a symlink in java-repository point off
> to the filesystem location fo this directory:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/merlin/

Content under /maven/merlin is a symlink to /merlin. This should be
moved under /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository.

Content under /www/www.apache.org/dist/avalon takes precidence over
content under ibiblio/merlin - i.e. to get a non-duplicate set, move
ibiblio/merlin to java-repository, then move dist/avalon/merlin over the
top.

> Is there anything else from avalon over at ibiblio and outside of the

No.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
First, let me be clear, I'm speaking only about publishing jars in this
case.

I've been reviewing the contents of avalon jars directories and of
java-repository/(avalon|cornerstone|excalibur).../jars/ and have come to
the following conclusion, in many (if not all) cases the jars in
java-repository are the same and newer versions than in dist/avalon.

Here's a sampling of comparisions:

http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/avalon-activation/jars/
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/avalon-activation/jars/

http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/avalon-composition/jars/
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/avalon-composition/jars/

http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/cornerstone-connection-api/jars/
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/cornerstone-connection/jars/

http://www.apache.org/dist/avalon/excalibur-i18n/jars/
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/excalibur-i18n/jars/

-Mark

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> In terms of whats on ibiblio. Were you already maintaining a separate
> maven repository there?

yeah, some avalon peeps are working on a (maven-compatible) repository
that does all sorts of neat things.

> I found a symlink in java-repository point off
> to the filesystem location fo this directory:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/merlin/
>
> Is there anything else from avalon over at ibiblio and outside of the
> following locations?
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/avalon/
> http://www.ibiblio.org/merlin/
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/

Steve? (Stephen McConnell maintains the ibiblio files for avalon)

cheers,

- LSD

Re: Migrating Maven repository from ibiblio to apache.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Great,

[...]

thanks
-Mark