Posted to users@directory.apache.org by ge...@blackway.be on 2011/09/16 13:57:26 UTC

feedback user manual

1)
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/141-changing-the-server-port-for-ldap.html

My first comment concerns the first paragraph..

"By default the LDAP server listens on port 10389 (unencrypted or
StartTLS) and 10636 (SSL). It is quite common to run LDAP on 389, which is
the well-known port for this protocol. Of course other options are
imaginable as well. Changing the LDAP port is a good example for adjusting
the existing Spring configuration as introduced in the last section."

=> It is mentioned that the spring configuration introduced in the last
section, but I can't find anything about this Spring configuration. I know
about Spring so that's not the issue I'm trying to raise. The thing is
that in the "last section" there's no mention of Spring configuration, at
least, I could not find it.

2)
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html

Out of the blue comment again.. you start talking about LDIF without
having explained what LDIF is.

3) I'm missing an article that discusses how to use apacheds from within a
java client, ie. an api user guide. The focus could/should be on jndi. I
may have missed this, because I didn't read all your articles yet. If it
already exists, please ignore this remark. I 've quickly stopped browsing
your site as soon as I had an idea of how things work and then switched to
a random jndi tutorial. It works so that's good for me, perhaps other
users may benifit if you have a step by step guide that introduces jndi
based on apacheds? And perhaps also a guide with explains advanced stuff
from the api?

To make sure there's no misunderstanding: Keep up the nice work, my
remarks are just minor. I hope it cn help to make the apacheds experience
even better.

Cheers!

Re: feedback user manual

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback !

I'm currently having some vacations, but I'll have a deeper look at your
proposals when I'll be back on sept. 24th.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM, <ge...@blackway.be> wrote:

> 1)
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/141-changing-the-server-port-for-ldap.html
>
> My first comment concerns the first paragraph..
>
> "By default the LDAP server listens on port 10389 (unencrypted or
> StartTLS) and 10636 (SSL). It is quite common to run LDAP on 389, which is
> the well-known port for this protocol. Of course other options are
> imaginable as well. Changing the LDAP port is a good example for adjusting
> the existing Spring configuration as introduced in the last section."
>
> => It is mentioned that the spring configuration introduced in the last
> section, but I can't find anything about this Spring configuration. I know
> about Spring so that's not the issue I'm trying to raise. The thing is
> that in the "last section" there's no mention of Spring configuration, at
> least, I could not find it.
>
> 2)
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/143-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html
>
> Out of the blue comment again.. you start talking about LDIF without
> having explained what LDIF is.
>
> 3) I'm missing an article that discusses how to use apacheds from within a
> java client, ie. an api user guide. The focus could/should be on jndi. I
> may have missed this, because I didn't read all your articles yet. If it
> already exists, please ignore this remark. I 've quickly stopped browsing
> your site as soon as I had an idea of how things work and then switched to
> a random jndi tutorial. It works so that's good for me, perhaps other
> users may benifit if you have a step by step guide that introduces jndi
> based on apacheds? And perhaps also a guide with explains advanced stuff
> from the api?
>
> To make sure there's no misunderstanding: Keep up the nice work, my
> remarks are just minor. I hope it cn help to make the apacheds experience
> even better.
>
> Cheers!

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny