Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Robert J Taylor <po...@rjamestaylor.com> on 2003/11/24 23:41:13 UTC

Frequently adding servernames

I am new to this list and new to James as well. My company is using James
for a customer request tracking application. We like and depend on James.
Thanks to all who make it possible.

Background:

We are frequently adding domains to config/James/servernames/ in order to
support SMTP for those domains -- authRequired is set to "true" so as not to
be an open relay. Each time we add a servername we shutdown and restart
James/Phoenix. For each domain we have distinct user accounts and support
POP/SMTP for these users. We use MySQL as the repository.

Question:

Is there a better way to acheive our goal of proving SMTP/POP service to
specifc domains without being an open relay than described above? Or, more
to the point, can we avoid the updating of config.xml and the corresponding
shutdown/start of James each time it is updated?

My goal is to allow hot-additions of authorized domains.

Thank you for your help,

Robert Taylor

Re: Frequently adding servernames

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Robert J Taylor wrote:
> We are frequently adding domains to config/James/servernames/ in order to
> support SMTP for those domains -- authRequired is set to "true" so as not to
> be an open relay. Each time we add a servername we shutdown and restart
> James/Phoenix. For each domain we have distinct user accounts and support
> POP/SMTP for these users. We use MySQL as the repository.
>

> Question:
>
> Is there a better way to acheive our goal of proving SMTP/POP service to
> specifc domains without being an open relay than described above? Or, more
> to the point, can we avoid the updating of config.xml and the corresponding
> shutdown/start of James each time it is updated?
>
> My goal is to allow hot-additions of authorized domains.

Robert,

Was looking through this a bit more.  Most of what you would want to
change is in James.java, as that's where it handles the servername
configuration.  You could just have it grab that info from somewhere
else, pretty easily enough.  The main method you'd want to have do
something different is isLocalServer(), which could force a reload each
call.

The only issue is that James exposes this set of names (also) as a
Collection via the Avalon framework.  Fortunately, this isn't really
used anywhere (from a quick check).  This is probably not a good
approach as instead James should expose a method to get that Set.

Then all access to the servernames info (or domains, or whatever we call
it per the other thread) is via isLocalServer() and getLocalDomains().
This isn't too tough, and then in your configuration, this could be
reloaded periodically (not sure if you want to only reload every 60
seconds or what).

Sidenote: isLocalServer should be changed to whatever domain/server/host
we call things.

--
Serge Knystautas
President