Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2013/03/12 17:54:15 UTC

[Hadoop Wiki] Update of "Hbase/PoweredBy" by RichReimer

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The "Hbase/PoweredBy" page has been changed by RichReimer:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/PoweredBy?action=diff&rev1=81&rev2=82

  [[http://www.socialmedia.com/|SocialMedia]] uses HBase to store and process user events which allows us to provide near-realtime user metrics and reporting. HBase forms the heart of our Advertising Network data storage and management system. We use HBase as a data source and sink for both realtime request cycle queries and as a backend for mapreduce analysis.

+ [[http://www.splicemachine.com/|Splice Machine]] built the Splice SQL Engine on top of HBase.  The Splice SQL Engine is a full-featured ANSI SQL database that provides real-time updates, secondary indices, ACID transactions, and optimized joins.
+
  [[http://www.streamy.com/|Streamy]] is a recently launched realtime social news site.  We use HBase for all of our data storage, query, and analysis needs, replacing an existing SQL-based system.  This includes hundreds of millions of documents, sparse matrices, logs, and everything else once done in the relational system.  We perform significant in-memory caching of query results similar to a traditional Memcached/SQL setup as well as other external components to perform joining and sorting.  We also run thousands of daily MapReduce jobs using HBase tables for log analysis, attention data processing, and feed crawling.  HBase has helped us scale and distribute in ways we could not otherwise, and the community has provided consistent and invaluable assistance.

  [[http://www.stumbleupon.com/|Stumbleupon]] and [[http://su.pr|Su.pr]] use HBase as a real time data storage and analytics platform. Serving directly out of HBase, various site features and statistics are kept up to date in a real time fashion. We also use HBase a map-reduce data source to overcome traditional query speed limits in MySQL.