Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jeffrey Ollie <je...@ocjtech.us> on 2008/04/26 05:05:50 UTC

Large Documents?

I'm just getting started with CouchDB and I noticed that mochikit
restricts document sizes to one megabyte.  Is there a reason to limit
the size of documents other than to prevent DoS attacks?  I modified
my copy of CouchDB with the attached patch and increased the maximum
document size to 50MB.  I was able to successfully save a large
document (although I haven't tried pulling it out yet).  The reason
that I want such large objects is to store images in the database, and
have the images replicated for redundancy.

Jeff

Re: Large Documents?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey Jeff,
On Apr 26, 2008, at 23:12, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> thanks for pointing this out. Eventually we should have look at
>> a configurable setting here, so we might not end up using the
>> patch, but still thanks.
>
> Yeah, that would be my preference too, but I don't know enough Erlang
> to implement that.

We have a config-related patch in the works, we might be able to include
this there. Don't worry about doing it yourself :)

>> Would you mind creating a bug report on
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB
>> so we don't forget?
>
> There's already:

Whoops, I haven't even checked for that. Sorry!

> I haven't tried uploading any larger documents yet to see if there are
> issues elsewhere in the code.

If you do more tests and find problems, it'd be cool if you could report
them. But I guess that is obvious :)

Cheers and thanks
Jan

Re: Large Documents?

Posted by Jeffrey Ollie <je...@ocjtech.us>.
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>  thanks for pointing this out. Eventually we should have look at
>  a configurable setting here, so we might not end up using the
>  patch, but still thanks.

Yeah, that would be my preference too, but I don't know enough Erlang
to implement that.

>  Would you mind creating a bug report on
>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB
>  so we don't forget?

There's already:

Re: Large Documents?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey Jeffrey,
thanks for pointing this out. Eventually we should have look at
a configurable setting here, so we might not end up using the
patch, but still thanks.

Would you mind creating a bug report on
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB
so we don't forget?