Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2001/11/06 12:17:30 UTC

Introduction of New Committer

Hi,

since you gave me commit access (OK, I more or less asked for it), I
would really love to introduce myself. As I really like these
things, I will keep it as short as possible!

My name is Carsten, age 29, married, hometown is Paderborn, Germany.
I started software development over 15 years ago, using many
programming languages ranging from Assembler, Basic, Lisp, Self
to Modula-2, Oberon, Objective-C, C++ and lately Java.

My favourite system is still NeXtstep/Openstep or today known as
MacOS X Server using Objective-C and all this great OO-classes.
Since nearly two years, I'm a certified Apple WebObjects trainer
and I really like WO!

Ok, that's another story, so let's get back. Since middle of last
year I'm working in our Open Source Competence Center. At the
same time we started discovering Cocoon 2 and from that on, I tried
to work on that project as much as I can. Currently I'm trying
to distribute the upcoming release candidate 2 of Cocoon.
And now I'm here...

Carsten

Re: Introduction of New Committer

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
welcome aboard.

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: Introduction of New Committer

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > since you gave me commit access (OK, I more or less asked for it), I
> > would really love to introduce myself. As I really like these
> > things, I will keep it as short as possible!
> >
> > My name is Carsten, age 29, married, hometown is Paderborn, Germany.
> > I started software development over 15 years ago, using many
> > programming languages ranging from Assembler, Basic, Lisp, Self
> > to Modula-2, Oberon, Objective-C, C++ and lately Java.
> >
> > My favourite system is still NeXtstep/Openstep or today known as
> > MacOS X Server using Objective-C and all this great OO-classes.
> > Since nearly two years, I'm a certified Apple WebObjects trainer
> > and I really like WO!
> >
> > Ok, that's another story, so let's get back. Since middle of last
> > year I'm working in our Open Source Competence Center. At the
> > same time we started discovering Cocoon 2 and from that on, I tried
> > to work on that project as much as I can. Currently I'm trying
> > to distribute the upcoming release candidate 2 of Cocoon.
> > And now I'm here...
> >
> > Carsten
>
> "Open Source Competence Center" : I'm really interested in how
> opensource can be an integral part of a company's organization.
>
> Could you please describe a little bit more the role of this center in
> your company : developmnent, teaching, evangelism, etc. What are its
> relationships with other departments : do they input you with functional
> requirements that guide the way you contribute on OSS ?

The Open Source Competence Center plays several roles in our company:
- If projects need a solution, we search for open source projects
implementing
  the needed functionality or helping in the implementation. We then
evaluate
  these solutions (together with the project)
- We develop products/solutions based on Open Source Projects
- We are looking for interesting open source projects to integrate into
  in our solutions
- We support os projects by contribution and taking part in the development.
- We try to use os whereever possible and try to persuade other projects
  to donate componets to us which we in turn can donate to os projects.

Carsten

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.