Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2006/09/12 22:51:17 UTC

Peculiar things about the latest trunk build wrt ActiveMQ

I noticed two peculiar things about the latest trunk build and activeMQ.

1)  The image size of the activeMQ rar file is now huge ... going from
something like 1 meg to a present 7.5 meg:
7,508,415 ge-activemq-rar-1.2-SNAPSHOT.rar

2)  This is now included in all assemblies when it was previously
excluded from the little-G assemblies.

Does anybody have any idea on the size issue or the change that may have
caused #2 above?

Joe

Re: Peculiar things about the latest trunk build wrt ActiveMQ

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I've excluded the transitive deps, bringing the rar down to ~1m

Not sure if we need to exclude the others too.. if so, then we should
remove the deps from the pom.

Anyways, I've passed this issue (GERONIMO-1722) to David J for
completion as I am not really sure what needs to be in the rar and
what doesn't.

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I can do it.  I'm going to move all the extras to the j2ee
boilerplate (rars and derby extras).

I think when little-G grows to big-G it will need a list of artifacts
to download and install into the repo.

--jason

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 13, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I would definitely say that we want to keep the TranQL database
> connection pool RAR in Little G (what app doesn't use a database?).

We don't need the rar  to get system database, just the system
database car file.  Assuming that people want to deploy more derby
instances may be a bit presumptuous.  You only need the rar to make
it easy for the user to deploy addtional stuff.

> We don't need the ActiveMQ RAR, though, because we don't include JMS
> in Little G.

We wouldn't need it even if we did include amq jms.

david jencks

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
TranQL makes sense for the connection pool mgmt.  I assume that is
what you mean Aaron ?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Peculiar things about the latest trunk build wrt ActiveMQ

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
I'm saying, we should include everything we need to include to support
database connection pools.  I believe that's only the TranQL RAR (not
the TranQL JARs).

Thanks,
      Aaron

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Thanks Jason.  I had just remembered about the boilerplate
> assemblies and noticed the activemq-rar in there.
>
> I don't know why we would need the activemq-rar in the boilderplate
> for minimal.  David, can you give some more details?

I guess I was wrong, oh keeper of the minimal :)  If we don't ship
system-database with minimal we don't need the derby rars either.
All the rars are there only as a convenience for someone who might
want to deploy an additional instance: none are needed to run the
shipping server.  Joe, do you think we should leave them all out of
minimal?  I'd be fine with that.

thanks
david jencks

> I'll open a JIRA on the deps.
>
> Joe
>

> jason.dillon@gmail.com wrote:
>> The rar deps need to be excluded... Open issue for that which I
>> will fix shortly. And David Jencks said to add the rars to the
>> minimal boilerplate, so I did. If that is not correct we can move
>> it to the j2ee boilerplate. --jason

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.
There is already an issue GERONIMO-1722

--jason