Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tofu Optimist <to...@yahoo.com> on 2003/09/24 21:48:27 UTC

logs 101: newbie questions r.e. log analysis and rolling

Hi --

Apologies for some very basic questions about logs.
I am a newbie, running Apache 2 and ModPerl 2 on a
RedHat Linux box. Pointers to relevant docs or
postings bery much appreciated.  Seeking advice &
opinions.

[1] What are my options for rolling Apache logs?
Is there a preferred Apache tool, or a preferred Linux
tool?  Logfile::Rotate via perl?  logrotate thru
linux?

[2a] If the error log is large and all entries have
been examined and resolved, does it do any harm to
delete it or rename it away?  (Does AP2 need the
logfile to exist before it writes to it?)

[2b] What should and should not be done to a log while
Apache is running?

[3] Any suggestions r.e. preferred tools for doing
basic traffic analysis from Apache logs?
Logfile::Apache?   webalizer?  sawmill?  analog?
awstats?

[4] Any suggestions r.e. perl modules for mucking
around in the old logs directly?  HTTPD::Log::Filter?

Many thanks to the group

--T

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Re: logs 101: newbie questions r.e. log analysis and rolling

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 15:48, Tofu Optimist wrote:
> I am a newbie, running Apache 2 and ModPerl 2 on a
> RedHat Linux box. Pointers to relevant docs or
> postings bery much appreciated.  Seeking advice &
> opinions.

These are really not mod_perl questions.  You should start with the
apache documentation and then ask further questions on the apache users
mailing list.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/logs.html

If you have questions about how to do mod_perl-specific things with
logs, those are welcome here.

- Perrin