Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Feather <ma...@customnet.co.uk> on 2006/11/29 01:35:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Hosting / FTP Access / Perl - cgi scripting

I am currently running a single website on my own Linux Box for my ownsmall business and wish to Host a website for a Canoe Club that I am a member of.  Virtual Hosting is very new to me and I don't want too much downtime for my current website whilst setting this up.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to setup Virtual Hosting for the two Domain Names and allow remote FTP access for the Club Only.  I already have two domain Names setup to access my current Website, how can this be maintained using Virtual Hosting.   I effectively have three Domain Names to think about but two of them point to the same Host

I use perl / cgi scripting to dynamically create my current website, will this be a problem and does Virtual Hosting create problems, how can I allow perl / cgi scripting to the clubs site too?

Are there any serious security issues?

Are there any serious Do's and Don'ts involved?

Any Help and advice welcome.

Mark Feather

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosting / FTP Access / Perl - cgi scripting

Posted by Bill Angus <md...@psychtest.com>.
Its pretty well all in the docs Mark.

You can run each site in its own virtual host (your own site, plus the others). If you have a single dedicated IP address (the most common situation), you use name-based virtual hosting. Apache gives you a lot of configuration options. Each virtual host can include these... i.e. you can have a separate CGI-bin directory for each site. Everything is managed wihtin the virtual host directives. thus, once you get your own site working in its own virtual host -- working on the others should not give you down time. NOTE, that SSL and name-based virtual hosting gives some trouble to set up (this is described in detail in past content of the list).