Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by gzh1992n <gz...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/03 10:44:11 UTC

does hbase:meta splits?

Recently,I am reading code of HBase-1.0.1.1 and I find -root- table was
removed in HBase-0.96.
now,the locating process is "look up zookeeper --> query hbase:meta --> get
region location".
I'm confused that hbase:meta is so large how to maintain without -root-?

Re: does hbase:meta splits?

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Meta table does not split currently, although this topic does come up
every once in a while. You may want to look at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11165 - there's discussion
on that topic you may find useful and interesting

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12016 - this is an
improvement which was made in 1.0 (and backported to 0.98) which
allows you to set number of cell versions to be kept in meta table,
which could save space for large metas.

Do you have a usecase where this becomes a real bottleneck for you?

-Mikhail

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 1:44 AM, gzh1992n <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently,I am reading code of HBase-1.0.1.1 and I find -root- table was
> removed in HBase-0.96.
> now,the locating process is "look up zookeeper --> query hbase:meta --> get
> region location".
> I'm confused that hbase:meta is so large how to maintain without -root-?

Michael Antonov