Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/20 08:31:59 UTC

NetBeans 12 Beta4 unable

Hi all,
I am trying the latest beta and I noticed that it is unable to properly
configure the Javadoc URLs of the Java platforms.
I am on Ubuntu 18.04 with OpenJDK 11.0.7 installed trough the OS packages
(openjdk-11-jdk package), I also have OpenJDK 8u252 (openjdk-8-jdk package).
In the Java Platform Manager dialog for the JDK 11 platform I have in the
Javadoc tab a folder '/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/docs' instead of a
'http://docs.oracle.com/javase/...' URL as in the previous versions of
NetBeans.
Adding the JDK8 platform results in a similar behaviour with an
autoconfigured /docs folder instead of the typical URL.
This appear to be a regression respect to NetBeans 11.3.
The out of the box experience is not great, especially for newbies, as
documentation tooltips in the editor are not available, even for common
java.lang classes.

Can anyone confirm? Could it depend on the fact that I have the OS
packages? Has javadoc autoconfiguration for newly added platform changed in
recent commits?

Regards
--
*Alessandro Falappa*

Re: NetBeans 12 Beta4 unable

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
  problem solved, false alarm.

On Ubuntu (and probably on Debian as well) the JDK is split in several
packages. In order for NetBeans to correctly autodetect all aspects of the
JDK the source and doc packages should be installed as well.

For example for JDK 11 at least the following packages are needed:
openjdk-11-doc
openjdk-11-jdk
openjdk-11-jdk-headless
openjdk-11-jre
openjdk-11-jre-headless
openjdk-11-source

The openjdk-11-doc can be installed afterwards (as will install the
javadocs in the /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/docs folder I mentioned
in my first email) while the openjdk-11-source should be present before
autodetection otherwise manual addition is a bit cumbersome.

Ideally this should be mentioned somewhere on the installation
instructions/release notes.

Regards,
*--*
*Alessandro Falappa*