Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Gupta, Atul" <at...@lowes.com> on 2021/08/22 10:34:28 UTC

HBASE Queries & Slack Channel Support

Hi HBASE PMC Members.

Greeting!

We are one of the active users of HBASE and Phoenix. There are number of HBASE RT/Batch use cases are running in Lowes. I’m owning platform team, so my team is responsible for maintaining and support the HBASE business use cases.
In last few months we are facing number of challenges due to read/write latencies.  I have reached out directly to PMC members, and everyone has suggested me to write to user mail group.

We are writing data into HBASE using Phoenix which is I guess not a recommended method if someone is looking for high throughput. Do we have any document regarding this? Also, what are Phoenix limitations if any?

Do we have SLACK channel which I can join to clarify my some of doubts quickly?

Looking for your quick response on this.

Thanks,
Atul Gupta
Sr. Director, Data Engineering
Lowes
________________________________
NOTICE: All information in and attached to the e-mails below may be proprietary, confidential, privileged and otherwise protected from improper or erroneous disclosure. If you are not the sender's intended recipient, you are not authorized to intercept, read, print, retain, copy, forward, or disseminate this message. If you have erroneously received this communication, please notify the sender immediately by phone (704-758-1000) or by e-mail and destroy all copies of this message electronic, paper, or otherwise. By transmitting documents via this email: Users, Customers, Suppliers and Vendors collectively acknowledge and agree the transmittal of information via email is voluntary, is offered as a convenience, and is not a secured method of communication; Not to transmit any payment information E.G. credit card, debit card, checking account, wire transfer information, passwords, or sensitive and personal information E.G. Driver's license, DOB, social security, or any other information the user wishes to remain confidential; To transmit only non-confidential information such as plans, pictures and drawings and to assume all risk and liability for and indemnify Lowe's from any claims, losses or damages that may arise from the transmittal of documents or including non-confidential information in the body of an email transmittal. Thank you.

Re: HBASE Queries & Slack Channel Support

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@gmail.com>.
This is an interesting discussion about latency vs throughput.

We are using an older version of apache hadoop 2.6 and HBase and recently
we faced latency issues. The way we solved temporarily is avoiding joins
wherever possible and bringing lookup data in cache(instead of reading from
HBase). For the secondary indexing purpose we are using Solr.  Probably it
solved the problem temporarily but I know eventually we will have the same
problem of handling latency vs throughput.

So happy to get this discussion going.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Wong <db...@apache.org>.