Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/08/16 20:11:38 UTC

New SSL HOWTOs

While creating the 3.3 version of my SSL HOWTO, I also polished off the
wording here and there and added a TOC and section marks for easier
navigation. Attached are both the 3.3 and 4.0 versions of the file.
Consider this 4.0 version to supercede the one I sent last night (or
early this morning, as it were :-)

If someone could please let me know for sure that adding extension JARs
to the "{JDK_HOME}/jre/lib/ext" directory under JDK 1.1.8 effectively
makes them "installed extensions" (makes them available without
necessarily being in the CLASSPATH) just like in >= JDK 1.2. Other than
that, I'm pretty sure the TC 3.3 version of the doc is valid for JDK
1.1.8 environments as well. If someone a little more familiar with 1.1.8
could maybe give it a quick once-over and see if anything jumps out,
that would be great.

- Christopher

Re: New SSL HOWTOs

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Quoting Jim Seach <jw...@yahoo.com>:

> Thanks!
>
> I tried out your quickstart instructions with JDK 1.3 and Tomcat 3.2.3
> on Windows 98 and it worked like a charm.  The background and detail
> sections are well written and contain valuable information.
>
> Nice Job!

Cool, thanks =)

I can't really take credit for the quickstart steps, since I basically just
cribbed what was already in the server.xml comments for that. I'm definitely
glad you found the background and general info sections readable, as that's one
of those areas where you can never really tell if people will get anything out
of it or not.

It's also good to know that everything went according to plan on 3.2.3, since I
hadn't even tested them against that branch. Thanks for the feedback!

- Christopher

Re: New SSL HOWTOs

Posted by Jim Seach <jw...@yahoo.com>.
--- Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:
> While creating the 3.3 version of my SSL HOWTO, I also polished off
> the
> wording here and there and added a TOC and section marks for easier
> navigation. Attached are both the 3.3 and 4.0 versions of the file.
> Consider this 4.0 version to supercede the one I sent last night (or
> early this morning, as it were :-)
>
> If someone could please let me know for sure that adding extension
> JARs
> to the "{JDK_HOME}/jre/lib/ext" directory under JDK 1.1.8 effectively
> makes them "installed extensions" (makes them available without
> necessarily being in the CLASSPATH) just like in >= JDK 1.2. Other
> than
> that, I'm pretty sure the TC 3.3 version of the doc is valid for JDK
> 1.1.8 environments as well. If someone a little more familiar with
> 1.1.8
> could maybe give it a quick once-over and see if anything jumps out,
> that would be great.
>
> - Christopher>
>                    Tomcat 4.0 Standalone - SSL Configuration

Thanks!

I tried out your quickstart instructions with JDK 1.3 and Tomcat 3.2.3
on Windows 98 and it worked like a charm.  The background and detail
sections are well written and contain valuable information.

Nice Job!

Jim

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/