Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Roy Fielding <fi...@beach.w3.org> on 1995/07/17 01:55:54 UTC

Re: mod_imap

Randy writes:

>Regarding changes that Roy requested, I am not going to do
>this for this release.  The one "major" change that this
>requires is parsing the entire mapfile "if I understand the
>feature correctly, which I may not.".

That's one way to do it.  Another would be to allow an additional
directive in the map file that points to an optional menu if no
arguments are given.

    menu URL

(i.e., if the imagemap'd URL is requested with no ?x,y, and the
       map file has a map-menu directive, then redirect to that URL).
This method has the benefit of allowing the author more control
over the content of the menu, while at the same time reducing the
work of the imagemap program.  The downside is that many map authors
won't bother to make the additional menu file, and maintaining
consistency between the two over time would be a drag.  Hmmm, we
could always supply a script that generates one from a map (this
would be a lot easier if the map regions had a title attribute).

Of course, the "right" way to do this would be to make the map
file format be a fixed variant of HTML, but its too late for that.

>I am off to try one more change that will munge a relative path
>to remove the ../ from the Location: header.

I am probably missing something here -- why does it have a ../?
The Location header cannot be relative.  Be careful not to unmunge
it into a non-served location.

 ....Roy