Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/09 23:51:42 UTC

mailbox-hdfs update

Hello,

I have been quiet but I have done some things:
- did an initial push on the project, just the pom and the license files ( [0] )
- finished reading HDFS documentation
- almost done with all the forms required by Google.
- created an account on [1]

In the next few days I am planning to play with hadoop a little bit, I
will do as Eric suggested and use Mini(MR)Cluster and try to make a
simple spring based application to get the hang of it.
The idea is to follow what Eric said in [2],

If have no need for JIRA yet, but if I will need to use it, how should
I add issues as to not interfere with the rest of the project (use
gsoc or mailbox-hdfs label) ?

Also, can I test the mailbox without deploying a real server?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

[0] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/source/list
[1] http://wiki.apache.org/james/FrontPage
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAILBOX-44?focusedCommentId=13025848&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13025848

Cheers,

--
Ioan-Eugen Stan

Re: mailbox-hdfs update

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
> You can perfectly use static maven generate-pages where the template
> contains widgets provided by third parties such as http://disqus.com/,
> http://www.sharethis.com/,...
> Having such a blog is one of my project during my summer break :)

Not to keen on sharing my whole life with disqus
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disqus)
Sharethis seems nicer, but I think I'll search a little bit more.

> I will update the https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/committers.ini to
> get mine aggregated.
> You can submit a patch via jira to get your aggregated (we will commit in
> apache repo for you).

I will get this done when it I have my blog set up.

--
Ioan-Eugen Stan

Re: mailbox-hdfs update

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
See inline.
tks,
- Eric

On 10/05/2011 23:31, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> 2011/5/10 Robert Burrell Donkin<ro...@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan<st...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>
>> Hi Ioan
>>
>>> I have been quiet but I have done some things:
>>> - did an initial push on the project, just the pom and the license files ( [0] )
>>> - finished reading HDFS documentation
>>> - almost done with all the forms required by Google.
>>> - created an account on [1]
>>
>> great :-)
>>
>> and thanks for tracking and letting everyone know how you're doing
>
> I think it's common sense. We are going to work together after all and
> it's in our best interest that this project is a success.

Also quite on my side for now.
This will change as I will take a kind of business/summer break between
June and Augustus to achieve some personal projects, where apache
contribution will be a large part.
So you can count on me as from end May :)

>> do you blog? if so, try writing up a few words each day on the
>> project. over time, it'll build into a detailed record. if not, this
>> might be a good excuse to start. Planet Apache [1] is the best way (if
>> you don't want to spend your life reading mailing list posts) to track
>> what's happening with other projects (eg Hadoop, for example [2]).
>> (Intertwingly [3] is another of my favourites, with lots of Apache
>> related content.)
>>

> I don't have a blog, I have a domain: http://ieugen.ro/ and I was
> planning to keep my site with maven (static pages) in a mercurial
> repository, but I did not found time to write anything in it. Now I am
> not that sure that my idea is feasible, because maven is not designed
> for the kind of job I had in mind. I wish to allow comments and other
> stuff that you usually see on a blog/personal website.

You can perfectly use static maven generate-pages where the template
contains widgets provided by third parties such as http://disqus.com/,
http://www.sharethis.com/,...
Having such a blog is one of my project during my summer break :)

> I like the idea and I think I am going to follow this so please send
> me updates. Also, if I write a blog, I will be able to post on the
> planet (will it be aggregated)?

+1

I will update the https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/committers.ini
to get mine aggregated.
You can submit a patch via jira to get your aggregated (we will commit
in apache repo for you).

>> <snip>
>>
>>> If have no need for JIRA yet, but if I will need to use it, how should
>>> I add issues as to not interfere with the rest of the project (use
>>> gsoc or mailbox-hdfs label) ?
>>
>> Please feel free just to use JIRA. Don't worry about interfering. If
>> you bother anyone, they'll just move the issues or comment it.
>>
>> Apache runs by lazy consensus. Noise is encouraged. This allows anyone
>> who's bothered to jump in before there any problems arise. As
>> developers learn the way, and gain our trust karma will be granted.
>> With karma comes responsibility. Before then, don't worry too much :-)
>
> Ok, thanks for the advice. This is usually what happens, people who
> care take action, but I guess it's my problem for making concerns
> about stuff beforehand.

Better before than too late :)
No worry about interference. JIRA is queriable, sortable,...

>>> Also, can I test the mailbox without deploying a real server?s,

Yes.
There is the mailbox integration test for this.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailbox-integration-tester/trunk/
There are also a few tests in each impl modules.
See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1237 where I'm
talking about having spring modules for mailbox independent of server.

Re: mailbox-hdfs update

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: mailbox-hdfs update

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Ioan

> I have been quiet but I have done some things:
> - did an initial push on the project, just the pom and the license files ( [0] )
> - finished reading HDFS documentation
> - almost done with all the forms required by Google.
> - created an account on [1]

great :-)

and thanks for tracking and letting everyone know how you're doing

do you blog? if so, try writing up a few words each day on the
project. over time, it'll build into a detailed record. if not, this
might be a good excuse to start. Planet Apache [1] is the best way (if
you don't want to spend your life reading mailing list posts) to track
what's happening with other projects (eg Hadoop, for example [2]).
(Intertwingly [3] is another of my favourites, with lots of Apache
related content.)

<snip>

> If have no need for JIRA yet, but if I will need to use it, how should
> I add issues as to not interfere with the rest of the project (use
> gsoc or mailbox-hdfs label) ?

Please feel free just to use JIRA. Don't worry about interfering. If
you bother anyone, they'll just move the issues or comment it.

Apache runs by lazy consensus. Noise is encouraged. This allows anyone
who's bothered to jump in before there any problems arise. As
developers learn the way, and gain our trust karma will be granted.
With karma comes responsibility. Before then, don't worry too much :-)

> Also, can I test the mailbox without deploying a real server?

Develop an appropriate harness. (If you raise a JIRA, I'll give it
some thought to the best approach then add some comments. Hopefully
others will dive in too.)

(out of time today)

Robert

[1] http://planet.apache.org/committers/
[2] eg. http://www.1060.org/blogxter/entry?publicid=18B88C1689487FAF32E75E98C7B869DB
[3] http://planet.intertwingly.net/

Re: mailbox-hdfs update

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
On 9/05/2011 23:51, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> - did an initial push on the project, just the pom and the license files ( [0] )

§ hg clone https://hg.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/mailbox-hdfs/
mailbox-hdfs
§ cd mailbox-hdfs
§ mvn install

works fine here! :)

pom.xml declarations (artifcatid,...) are good.
The h2 dependency can be removed and mailbox-api + mailbox-store added.
The needed hadoop dependencies must now be added. For these, you will
need to explicitly define the version number (they are not in parent pom).

Tks,
- Eric