Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com> on 2003/09/12 15:45:17 UTC

Re: JMS/Geronimo

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 13:42 Europe/London, Lyndon Samson wrote:

> Speaking of architectures, has there been any consideration given to
> using
> JMS as a coarse grained communication mechanism internally in Geronimo?
> It would simplify distributing Http sessions and Stateful Session EJBs
> as well
> as JNDI information. It could even be used as part of App deployment.
> Perhaps
> for JDBC Connection caches.

I think that JMX is already being used in some places as an
inter-operability mechanism. The use of tools such as JMS and LDAP have
been discussed with the ideas of clustering and JNDI already; my
recollection of the discussions concluded that the use would be very
heavyweight for what it needs to achieve.

However, the idea of a kernel based around passing messages (whether or
not implemented over JMS) does have a number of attractions IMHO.

> Also, has anyone considered whether the name 'Geronimo' is in any way
> offensive
> to Native Americans?

There's a discussion page on the (original) wiki about it:

http://wiki.codehaus.org/geronimo/WhyApacheGeronimo

Alex.