Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2006/05/05 22:14:52 UTC

inclusion of samples in the Java SCA build process

I noticed with the recent changes to move samples under /java/sca
they are not built as part of the main developer build. I agree the
samples should be moved there but not that they be built as part of
the main developer build. I'm not sure whether this was a byproduct
of the move but based on how the developer build worked in the past,
they should not be included. Rather, they perhaps should be run with
the build off /java?

I'd like to better understand what the goals are for this change to
the build process as I was unaware a decision was made to change it.
Could someone please explain?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Re: inclusion of samples in the Java SCA build process

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On 5/5/06, Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> wrote:
> I noticed with the recent changes to move samples under /java/sca
> they are not built as part of the main developer build. I agree the
> samples should be moved there but not that they be built as part of
> the main developer build. I'm not sure whether this was a byproduct
> of the move but based on how the developer build worked in the past,
> they should not be included. Rather, they perhaps should be run with
> the build off /java?
>
> I'd like to better understand what the goals are for this change to
> the build process as I was unaware a decision was made to change it.
> Could someone please explain?

That wasn't my expectation when I was originally discussing this with
Rick. The move was mainly for clarity, to separate technology samples
from more scenario-oriented ones like bigbank.

These projects don't really do anything useful at build time anyway -
there are no real tests there. The main purpose is to provide the
source that would be included in the samples distribution and that
would only need to be run when we are building that distro.

I think they should be left where they are, removed from the default
build and included in the distro build.

--
Jeremy

Fwd: inclusion of samples in the Java SCA build process

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@bea.com>.
Small clarification the first sentence should be:

"I noticed with the recent changes to move samples under /java/sca
they are now built as part of the main developer build."

Begin forwarded message: