Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mike Cherichetti (Renegade Internet)" <mi...@renegadeinternet.com> on 2005/03/30 22:55:39 UTC

Long Startup Time

Hi,

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28 with JDK 1.5.0_01 on Fedora Core 3.

The problem that I'm having is pretty odd.  It's taking Tomcat about 30
minutes to fully start up and start accepting connections.  Here's where
it's getting hung up at from the startup logs:

Mar 30, 2005 10:52:10 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
Mar 30, 2005 11:21:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost
getDeployer

You can see that it's about 29 minutes between those two log entries.  So,
my question is, what is happening there that could take so long?  There are
no errors in the logs and once Tomcat does complete its startup stuff our
application works just fine.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Long Startup Time

Posted by Antony Paul <an...@gmail.com>.
On what hardware it is running ?. Check for other processes running ?.
Any antivirus scanner runnign ?.
Check for ContextListeners and Servlets which are set to load on
startup. Look at the web.xml to find such things. The bottleneck
should be in your application.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:55:39 -0500, Mike Cherichetti (Renegade
Internet) <mi...@renegadeinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28 with JDK 1.5.0_01 on Fedora Core 3.
>
> The problem that I'm having is pretty odd.  It's taking Tomcat about 30
> minutes to fully start up and start accepting connections.  Here's where
> it's getting hung up at from the startup logs:
>
> Mar 30, 2005 10:52:10 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
> INFO: XML validation disabled
> Mar 30, 2005 11:21:03 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost
> getDeployer
>
> You can see that it's about 29 minutes between those two log entries.  So,
> my question is, what is happening there that could take so long?  There are
> no errors in the logs and once Tomcat does complete its startup stuff our
> application works just fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

rgds