Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by J E <en...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/02 21:30:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Symantec Antivirus installed during apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

I downloaded apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi from
the //apache.cs.utah.edu/pub/apache.org mirror.  I
used the md5 method to validate and validation
appeared to be successful.  During apache install
there was an error when SymantecAntivirus was being
installed.  I do not have the exact error message but
the apache install continued after clicking the Cancel
to proceed past the Symantec install.

The apache install appeared to be working but when I
did a right click on the Start button (Windows XP SP2)
I would get a SymantecAntivirus.msi install error as
it was trying to access a file on C:\temp\.
It was a rather time consuming process to rid my
machine of this partial Symantec installation.  Part
of my concern is that this was a 10.0 version of Sym
AntiVirus.  We just had a virus outbreak because of
vulnerability in that version of Symantec antivirus.

I am posting this question because I have not seen any
indication, on the apache site, about this problem.
Have others seen this problem?  Why does apache 2.2.4
install SymantecAntivirus software?

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] Symantec Antivirus installed during apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
J E wrote:

> I am posting this question because I have not seen any
> indication, on the apache site, about this problem.
> Have others seen this problem?  Why does apache 2.2.4
> install SymantecAntivirus software?

It does not.  Please take this up with Symantec.

Unlike Symantec and many other applications, httpd installer does
not deposit any files into C:\Windows\... etc.  Everything installed
is deposited into httpd, except for MSVCRT which is from an install
shield provided, microsoft sourced merge module.

Re: [users@httpd] Symantec Antivirus installed during apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 12:30 PM 2/2/2007, J E wrote:
>I downloaded apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi from
>the //apache.cs.utah.edu/pub/apache.org mirror.  I
>used the md5 method to validate and validation
>appeared to be successful.  During apache install
>there was an error when SymantecAntivirus was being
>installed.  I do not have the exact error message but
>the apache install continued after clicking the Cancel
>to proceed past the Symantec install.
>
>The apache install appeared to be working but when I
>did a right click on the Start button (Windows XP SP2)
>I would get a SymantecAntivirus.msi install error as
>it was trying to access a file on C:\temp\.
>It was a rather time consuming process to rid my
>machine of this partial Symantec installation.  Part
>of my concern is that this was a 10.0 version of Sym
>AntiVirus.  We just had a virus outbreak because of
>vulnerability in that version of Symantec antivirus.
>
>I am posting this question because I have not seen any
>indication, on the apache site, about this problem.
>Have others seen this problem?  Why does apache 2.2.4
>install SymantecAntivirus software?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Apache installs Symantec.

Is it possible you already HAVE symantec, and the error was something
to do with maybe Symantec security suite? Or perhaps an improperly
installed copy of Symantec?