Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rui M . Silva Seabra" <rm...@multicert.com> on 2001/04/05 21:16:46 UTC

apache internal server error: problem with servlet initialization?

Hello,

   I am running apache 1.3 and tomcat 3.2.1, and I have a problem I can't seem to resolve and thus I am in need of help.

   Ever when I start tomcat, it seems like the servlets need to be called some three or four times in order to start running. Until they start, apache just returns Internal Server Error.

   I have tried to use (in httpd.conf I have JkMount /cgi-bin/* ajp13) the <load-on-startup> flag, but although tomcat says it initializes the servlet, the problem persists.

So web.xml looks like this: (servlets renamed, and I selected just two of them)

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Servlet1</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>com.pany.servlets.Servlet1</servlet-class>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Servlet1</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/cgi-bin/Servlet1</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Servlet2</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>com.pany.servlets.Servlet2</servlet-class>
    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Servlet2</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/cgi-bin/Servlet2</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

tomcat.log:

(...)

2001-04-05 08:10:45 - Ctx( site.multicert.com: ): Loading 1 Servlet1
2001-04-05 08:10:46 - Ctx( site.multicert.com: ): Loading 2 Servlet2

And the respective for the remaining 5 servlets, always with an increasing load-on-startup integer.

This is problematic, specially since we don't need any of this (and everything works fine) on a Win2000 with IIS, tomcat 3.2.1 and jdk 1.3.

I just tried that to check it out, because I am not using Win2000 on production servers, period.

But the behaviour I have on a Linux RH 6.2 with the same jdk and tomcat, and apache 1.3.19 is not tolerable :( I cannot go after each servlet and reload it until it starts working.

What can I be doing wrong?

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Rui

+ So let's do it...?