Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/18 23:34:02 UTC

RFC: LICENSE and NOTICE cleanups (ASF release)

I made some LICENSE and NOTICE cleanup changes [1], and created an ASF
Release Guidelines document [2] based  on feedback on the [VOTE] [3] and
[DISCUSS] [4] threads.

Please review the changes and the guideline doc, and respond with any
comments, concerns, or suggestions.  I'm going to cancel the current vote
so that we can create a new, hopefully perfect release.  :-)

Thanks

[1]  First 5 commits on:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-allura.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cj/6422

[2]
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/ASF%20Release%20Guidelines/

[3]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201309.mbox/%3CCAOGo0VYhsbeKSV%3DzxKA%3DTOcf76X0M%2B-KeC3tNnRzmPc7hJLG2w%40mail.gmail.com%3E

[4] This, and the following 4 messages:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201309.mbox/%3CCAOGo0VYCKEyvV0icOtVJxZuW1%3DUUHFxrHHnDPU5kzzWM%2B8ggpg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: RFC: LICENSE and NOTICE cleanups (ASF release)

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Cory asked about PyPI releases on the incubator list and we got this reponse:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201309.mbox/%3CCAAS6%3D7i4Nq4Pg6de205nn-swW4VrN%2BfZ5bUu7tDRqHEKomqwBQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Does that help us enough to decide what way we want to go with this?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: RFC: LICENSE and NOTICE cleanups (ASF release)

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Hartmann <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sebb didn't say that we *must* have *only* top-level LICENSE and NOTICE
files, just that: 1) the top-level LICENSE file was incomplete and the
top-level NOTICE file contained items it shouldn't; 2) that (possibly
because of point 1) the LICENSE and NOTICE files in the sub-directories
would be confusing to the reviewers and end-users.  I think that, from a
legal standpoint, as long as the top-level LICENSE and NOTICE file are
correct, we're ok.  The additional files LICENSE files might be confusing,
but we can (and do) bundle third-party libraries that contain a LICENSE
file, so I don't think we're going to be able to remove them entirely.
 Trying to come up with some process or program to add or remove licenses
when building a release might be nice, but I'm not sure that it should
block our initial release.

Regarding the public domain code, "permissive licenses" refers to all of
the licenses that are allowed to be distributed along with an ASF project
release, and "attribution is required" refers to the reference in the
LICENSE file.  My understanding now is that it's very unlikely that we need
anything in the NOTICE file, as the only time something should be added to
that is if a bundled library's license *specifically* requires it, most
likely by having its own NOTICE file or by explicitly mentioning it in the
license.  Dave found a specific example of this, the Creative Commons
Attribution License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

After we come to a consensus on these items, it would probably be worth
asking again on the existing [DISCUSS] thread to verify our understanding,
prior to moving forward with the next release.

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.
And I think  you're right about HTML5 Canvas, so I removed it (branch in
first message updated).

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.