Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Huntrods <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2019/04/23 16:14:17 UTC

Re: Cannot receive email from tomcat.apache.org

I'm still not receiving any email from either 'users@tomcat.apache.org'
or 'users-digest@tomcat.apache.org' - not since the tomcat listserv
server crash in early April.

I asked my mail server provider to check their logs, and this is the
reply I received yesterday:

> Hello Richard,
>
> I received a response from our email admin team this morning regarding
> your inquiry:
> There were no emails sent from users@tomcat.apache.org or
> users-digest@tomcat.apache.org to our system between April 15 and
> April 18th.
> There was an email sent from huntrods@nucleus.com to
> users@tomcat.apache.org on
> Apr 17 14:28:59 EST.
>
> You may want to inquire with the people distributing this digest if
> they can send you a test message to determine what might be causing
> the non-delivery issue, as we are not even seeing it coming into our
> server at this time.

This seems odd as I know I saw messages on the archive from that time -
so I should have received at least the digest.

Since my provider is of little help, I have two questions for the
tomcat.apache.org mailing list admins:

1. Is the digest still being emailed on a regular basis? I never was
subscribed to 'users', only to 'users-digest'.

2. Could you check and see whether or not tomcat.apache.org has
"blacklisted" the server 'nucleus.com'? This happened to me once before
- a site blacklisted nucleus "because it looked suspicious". Nucleus.com
is a Calgary Alberta Canada internet provider that has been in business
since before 2000 (I've been a customer since early 2001) and is most
certainly not 'suspicious'. They host many of the larger Calgary
business accounts as well as consumer accounts. Their email servers are
robust and secure.

But - it could be the listserv my not recognize nucleus.com and
therefore won't email to it.

3. Is there any way to reply directly to me at this email address from a
'tomcat.apache.org' mail address so we could test this?

Thanks,

-Richard

---

Re: Cannot receive email from tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/2019 14:25, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 24/04/2019 07:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 24/04/2019 02:10, Richard Huntrods wrote:
>>> I have confirmed with my email provider that tomcat.apache.org does
>>> indeed have nucleus.com on a blacklist. I can provide proof if needed,
>>> but I do need to get nucleus.com REMOVED from this blacklist.
>>
>> Please provide your proof - to users-owner@tomcat.apache.org if you
>> don't want to post it to a public list.
>
> Your mail host is rejecting connections from the ASF mail server:
>
> From our logs:
>
> <hu...@nucleus.com>:
> 208.65.246.133 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 <hermes.apache.org[207.244.88.153]>: Client
> host rejected: cidr blacklist CPE abuse
> Giving up on 208.65.246.133.
>
> There is nothing we can do to fix this. The issue is entirely with your
> mail provider.

And the provided proof confirms this.

The mail administrator for nucleus.com has opted to use the
backscatterer.org blacklist. That particular blacklist doesn't have a
great reputation since it blacklists for 30 days by default and charges
~$90 to get removed earlier than the default expiry.

While I do understand the logic behind both the way the blacklist is
compiled and the charging for early removal, it does strike me as an
arrangement that would be very easy use unethically.

The ASF will not be paying to be removed from this blacklist.

If you Google for "backscatterer extortion" you'll find a number of
complaints about this blacklist going back over an extended period of time.

Mark

Re: Cannot receive email from tomcat.apache.org

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/2019 07:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 24/04/2019 02:10, Richard Huntrods wrote:
>> I have confirmed with my email provider that tomcat.apache.org does
>> indeed have nucleus.com on a blacklist. I can provide proof if needed,
>> but I do need to get nucleus.com REMOVED from this blacklist.
>
> Please provide your proof - to users-owner@tomcat.apache.org if you
> don't want to post it to a public list.

Your mail host is rejecting connections from the ASF mail server:

From our logs:

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Huntrods <hu...@nucleus.com>.
I have confirmed with my email provider that tomcat.apache.org does
indeed have nucleus.com on a blacklist. I can provide proof if needed,
but I do need to get nucleus.com REMOVED from this blacklist.

Thank you.

-Richard

On 4/23/2019 9:14 AM, Richard Huntrods wrote:
> I'm still not receiving any email from either
> 'users@tomcat.apache.org' or 'users-digest@tomcat.apache.org' - not
> since the tomcat listserv server crash in early April.
>
> I asked my mail server provider to check their logs, and this is the
> reply I received yesterday:
>
>> Hello Richard,
>>
>> I received a response from our email admin team this morning
>> regarding your inquiry:
>> There were no emails sent from users@tomcat.apache.org or
>> users-digest@tomcat.apache.org to our system between April 15 and
>> April 18th.
>> There was an email sent from huntrods@nucleus.com to
>> users@tomcat.apache.org on
>> Apr 17 14:28:59 EST.
>>
>> You may want to inquire with the people distributing this digest if
>> they can send you a test message to determine what might be causing
>> the non-delivery issue, as we are not even seeing it coming into our
>> server at this time.
>
> This seems odd as I know I saw messages on the archive from that time
> - so I should have received at least the digest.
>
> Since my provider is of little help, I have two questions for the
> tomcat.apache.org mailing list admins:
>
> 1. Is the digest still being emailed on a regular basis? I never was
> subscribed to 'users', only to 'users-digest'.
>
> 2. Could you check and see whether or not tomcat.apache.org has
> "blacklisted" the server 'nucleus.com'? This happened to me once
> before - a site blacklisted nucleus "because it looked suspicious".
> Nucleus.com is a Calgary Alberta Canada internet provider that has
> been in business since before 2000 (I've been a customer since early
> 2001) and is most certainly not 'suspicious'. They host many of the
> larger Calgary business accounts as well as consumer accounts. Their
> email servers are robust and secure.
>
> But - it could be the listserv my not recognize nucleus.com and
> therefore won't email to it.
>
> 3. Is there any way to reply directly to me at this email address from
> a 'tomcat.apache.org' mail address so we could test this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Richard

---