Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/09/14 11:20:00 UTC

BugRat Report #115 has been filed.

Bug report #115 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/115>

REPORT #115 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.1
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: Linux
   OS Release: Caldera 2.4
   Platform: Linux

Synopsis:
Not able to run demo JSP pages

I get the following error:

Error: 500

Location: /examples/jsp/sessions/carts.jsp

Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPjsp->javac: invalid flag: -encoding
use: jsp->javac [-g][-O][-debug][-depend][-nowarn][-verbose][-classpath path][-nowrite][-d dir] file.java...

        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java, Compiled Code)

javac --help  output is:

/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/doc:javac --help
--help is an invalid option or argument.
Usage: javac <options> <source files>

where <options> includes:
  -g                     Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source} Generate only some debugging info
  -O                     Optimize; may hinder debugging or enlarge class files
  -nowarn                Generate no warnings
  -verbose               Output messages about what the compiler is doing
  -deprecation           Output source locations where deprecated APIs are used
  -classpath <path>      Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>     Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>  Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>        Override location of installed extensions
  -d <directory>         Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>   Specify character encoding used by source files
  -target <release>      Generate class files for specific VM version

So "javac" does support "-encoding".

Not sure why this is happenning -

ANy help appreciated.

Re: BugRat Report #115 has been filed.

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.
Give us the version of your java. Is it Sun's JDK, Blackdown?  (find
out EXACTLY where javac is installed)

Because my javac supports the encoding flag, and I'm running jdk
.1.18 from IBM. Remember the default encoding of a java source file is
UTF-8. If you have unicode in your source files and you don't spec the
encoding it won't compile.

Someone from IBM, does Jikes support any other encoding than UTF-8? I
doesn't seem to. Can you confirm?