Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> on 2007/09/21 17:26:15 UTC

Re: [?? Probable Spam] Re: Full-page table, %-height rows, and block-progression-dimension

Vincent Hennebert wrote:

Hi Vincent,

> Just a few notes about heights in tables as I worked on this a few
> months ago.
> The XSL-FO Recommendation refers to CSS2 [1] for a description of how
> heights in tables should be handled. And CSS2 explicitely does not
> specify [2] how heights should be handled when they have an explicit
> value. More precisely:
> - when specified on an fo:table, whether the height of the table’s
>   content should override that value, or how possible remaining space
>   should be distributed;
> - for fo:table-row and fo:table-cell, what percentage values of `height’
>   should refer to.
>
> Thus, for now explicit values of `height’ on table, table-row,
> table-cell are discarded and replaced by `auto’ (I think a warning
> should appear in such cases). In the future we might decide on a certain
> behaviour, but in any case this would be FOP-specific and non standard.
> Perhaps the other renderers have a common reasonable behaviour,
> I haven’t looked. We will see when we decide to tackle this issue, but
> I’m afraid it may not be of high priority...

I agree with most of what you said. Except in the case when there is a
explicit (not %) height on a table-row. If the content of the row is
less than the specified height then the row should be stretched to match
the specified height, with extra space added at the end. FOP-0.20.5 used
to support this. As do other XSL-FO implementations. I'm not an expert
with the spec but you didn't mention this case in your e-mail. WDYT?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Full-page table, %-height rows, and block-progression-dimension

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Chris,

Chris Bowditch a écrit :
> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>

>> Just a few notes about heights in tables as I worked on this a few
>> months ago.
>> The XSL-FO Recommendation refers to CSS2 [1] for a description of how
>> heights in tables should be handled. And CSS2 explicitely does not
>> specify [2] how heights should be handled when they have an explicit
>> value. More precisely:
>> - when specified on an fo:table, whether the height of the table’s
>> content should override that value, or how possible remaining space
>> should be distributed;
>> - for fo:table-row and fo:table-cell, what percentage values of
>> `height’   should refer to.
>>
>> Thus, for now explicit values of `height’ on table, table-row,
>> table-cell are discarded and replaced by `auto’ (I think a warning
>> should appear in such cases). In the future we might decide on a
>> certain behaviour, but in any case this would be FOP-specific and non
>> standard. Perhaps the other renderers have a common reasonable
>> behaviour, I haven’t looked. We will see when we decide to tackle this
>> issue, but I’m afraid it may not be of high priority...
>
> I agree with most of what you said. Except in the case when there is a
> explicit (not %) height on a table-row. If the content of the row is
> less than the specified height then the row should be stretched to match
> the specified height, with extra space added at the end. FOP-0.20.5 used
> to support this. As do other XSL-FO implementations. I'm not an expert
> with the spec but you didn't mention this case in your e-mail. WDYT?

Indeed, that case is specified by CSS2 to behave like you explained;
although for extra-space, this depends on the display-align set on the
cell. In fact cells have their heights extended to the row’s height and
extra space is put as additional padding at the top or the bottom of the
cell. If I understand correctly...

Vincent