Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/08 01:02:01 UTC

textmining.org code in Tika

Hi,

[cc'ing Ryan Ackley as the author of the textmining code]

When working with the MS file format parsers in Tika (see TIKA-48), I
noticed that some of the classes that we got from Lius Lite in fact
originated from the textmining.org packages. The textmining.org code
is under AL 2.0 so there's no licensing problem with this, but we
should include the proper attribution notice in our NOTICE file.

The NOTICE from the textmining.org packages contains the following statement:

    This software contains code written by Ryan Ackley.
    Please go to http://www.textmining.org for the latest version.

I guess we're fine once we include this notice in our NOTICE file.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: textmining.org code in Tika

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 10/8/07, rida.benjelloun@doculibre.com <ri...@doculibre.com> wrote:
> In LiusLite I have used POI. I don't use textmining. The code that I
> have implemented for MsOffice parsers is a refactoring of nutch code.

I guess the textmining code was already embedded in Nutch when you
took it. Anyway, it's good to know where the code originates from.
Perhaps we really should come up with the "Tika history" document as
discussed in the thread about credits.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: textmining.org code in Tika

Posted by ri...@doculibre.com.
Hi Jukka
In LiusLite I have used POI. I don't use textmining. The code that I
have implemented for MsOffice parsers is a refactoring of nutch code.

Regards.

On 10/7/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [cc'ing Ryan Ackley as the author of the textmining code]
>
> When working with the MS file format parsers in Tika (see TIKA-48), I
> noticed that some of the classes that we got from Lius Lite in fact
> originated from the textmining.org packages. The textmining.org code
> is under AL 2.0 so there's no licensing problem with this, but we
> should include the proper attribution notice in our NOTICE file.
>
> The NOTICE from the textmining.org packages contains the following
> statement:
>
>     This software contains code written by Ryan Ackley.
>     Please go to http://www.textmining.org for the latest version.
>
> I guess we're fine once we include this notice in our NOTICE file.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Rida Benjelloun
Doculibre inc.