Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roger Erens <ro...@erens-krekels.net> on 2003/08/03 00:05:03 UTC

win98 problem: another process has locked a portion of the file

Hello,

in order to fix the error about not being able to obtain a UID on win98 I'm
trying to follow the FAQ's recipe
svn co --username user http://server/repository
However I have a problem:
after creating an empty directory svn on my F: partition, I did
F:\svn>svnadmin create f:\svn\rep
which seemed to be doing OK, followed by
F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///svn/rep
resulting in this error message:

svn: Couldn't open a repository.
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn/rep'
svn: The process cannot access the file because  another process has locked
a po
rtion of the file.
svn: get_repos: shared db lock on repository `/svn/rep' failed

and including the F:\ in the path (which I shouldn't as I understood from
part C in The Definitive Guide) gives
F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///f:/svn/rep
svn: Obstructed update
svn: 'rep' is already a working copy for a different url

Funny (at least, to me), is when I reverse these commands, the error
messages are not reversed:
F:\svn>svnadmin create aaa

F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///f:/svn/aaa
svn: Couldn't open a repository.
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///f:/svn/aaa'
svn: The process cannot access the file because  another process has locked
a po
rtion of the file.
svn: get_repos: shared db lock on repository `f:/svn/aaa' failed

F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///svn/aaa
svn: Obstructed update
svn: 'aaa' is already a working copy for a different url

Is there some help for me?
Thanks in advance,
Roger

There is only one thing in the world worse than writing Python code, and
that is
not writing Python code.
[Free after: the Oscar Wilde sketch
http://www.montypython.net/scripts/oscar.php ]

Re: win98 problem: another process has locked a portion of the file

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Roger Erens <ro...@erens-krekels.net> writes:

> Michael, C. Michael,
> Thanks for explaining my problem.
> However, from
> http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/build_win/notes.html
> I understand (ignorant as I am) that a standalone database (i.e. for a
> single user) could be possible.

Possibly.  But I'm betting it's non-trivial.  Consider (at least)
Windows 2000? :-)

Re: win98 problem: another process has locked a portion of the file

Posted by Roger Erens <ro...@erens-krekels.net>.
Michael, C. Michael,
Thanks for explaining my problem.
However, from
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/build_win/notes.html
I understand (ignorant as I am) that a standalone database (i.e. for a
single user) could be possible.
But I may be fooled and not realizing the amount of work it takes to do
such a thing.
I'd better migrate to linux...

Best regards,
Roger

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
Hi

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:05:03AM +0200, Roger Erens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in order to fix the error about not being able to obtain a UID on win98 I'm
> trying to follow the FAQ's recipe
> svn co --username user http://server/repository
> However I have a problem:
> after creating an empty directory svn on my F: partition, I did
> F:\svn>svnadmin create f:\svn\rep
> which seemed to be doing OK, followed by
> F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///svn/rep
> resulting in this error message:

AFAIK Berkeley DB does not work on Win9x.  Also, if F: corresponds to a
network filesystem that could cause problems too, since Berkeley DB is
known not to work on certain network filesystems.

> svn: Couldn't open a repository.
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn/rep'
> svn: The process cannot access the file because  another process has locked
> a po
> rtion of the file.
> svn: get_repos: shared db lock on repository `/svn/rep' failed
>
> and including the F:\ in the path (which I shouldn't as I understood from

There should be no problem with including the drive letter.

> part C in The Definitive Guide) gives
> F:\svn>svn co --username roger file:///f:/svn/rep
> svn: Obstructed update
> svn: 'rep' is already a working copy for a different url

This error is different because the first attempted checkout created a
partial working copy that the second one is choking on.

> Funny (at least, to me), is when I reverse these commands, the error
> messages are not reversed:
[snip]

This is because of the partial working copy mentioned above.  If you
remove it after every failed checkout attempt you should get the same
error every time.

> Is there some help for me?

Only if you use a different operating system or if you have the
repository on a machine running WinNT/2k/XP or a form of Unix and access
it via http://blah or svn://blah.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>