Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net> on 2011/02/17 02:32:46 UTC

Upgrading, The Definitive Guide...

So I currently have databases in 3 versions of CouchDB...

This has happened as I found it was a lot simpler to install (src >
configure --prefix=/opt/... > make > make install) couchdb into /opt
and just start it from there, instead dealing with portage (i use
gentoo)
And instead of going and checking if the app works with the new
version, I've just left it as is, working 100%.

Now I'm wondering surely it must be simple to upgrade rather than
having to replicate the databases using the native replication api.

Looking on the site, installing is covered in depth.
Looking at the files included with the source, installing is covered in depth.
Looking at http://guide.couchdb.org/editions/1/en/index.html#part/vi,
installing is covered in depth.

What about upgrading?
Do you specify the same --prefix with the configure command, and
everything "just works"?

Thanks for your insights,

Nicholas

Re: Upgrading, The Definitive Guide...

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 17 February 2011 14:32, Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net> wrote:
> So I currently have databases in 3 versions of CouchDB...
>
> This has happened as I found it was a lot simpler to install (src >
> configure --prefix=/opt/... > make > make install) couchdb into /opt
> and just start it from there, instead dealing with portage (i use
> gentoo)
> And instead of going and checking if the app works with the new
> version, I've just left it as is, working 100%.
>
> Now I'm wondering surely it must be simple to upgrade rather than
> having to replicate the databases using the native replication api.
>
> Looking on the site, installing is covered in depth.
> Looking at the files included with the source, installing is covered in depth.
> Looking at http://guide.couchdb.org/editions/1/en/index.html#part/vi,
> installing is covered in depth.
>
> What about upgrading?
> Do you specify the same --prefix with the configure command, and
> everything "just works"?
>
> Thanks for your insights,
>
> Nicholas

You should be able to upgrade on disk from 0.10.x (at least) onwards
to 1.0.x. There are some other changes that may impact your app so
check here http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes#Changes_Between_0.11.0_and_1.0.0

NB you should still backup first, and then compact afterwards.

Cheers
Dave

Re: Upgrading, The Definitive Guide...

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:21, Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net> wrote:
> I'm impatient, is pretty much it, I'm not saying there is anything wrong
> with it :)
> been using couchdb since 0.9, gave up on portage at 0.10 and went manual,
> haven't looked at it since, maybe I should.

I usually put in unstable releases within 1 or 2 days of the release. :)

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Upgrading, The Definitive Guide...

Posted by Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net>.