Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ahmed Elgohary <aa...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/02 18:32:50 UTC

SequentialBigSvd Power Iterations

Hi,
I am trying to use SequentialBigSvd as an in-memory implementation for the
ssvd. But, It is not clear to me if there is a reason behind not supporting
power iterations (i.e. power iterations Q is always set to zero) in the
current implementation. Are power iterations not needed in small scale
settings?

thanks,

--ahmed

Re: SequentialBigSvd Power Iterations

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The reason it doesn't do the iterations is that I didn't realize how
important they were at the time I wrote the sequential implementations.

I wrote the implementations largely as practice attempts before talking too
much about the map-reduce implementation.  Dmitriy was primary on the
map-reduce implementation and added some significant capabilities like the
power iteration and PCA options.

It would be excellent to back-port those capabilities to the sequential
versions.

D's upcoming scala implementations should be interesting as well.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
[1]
http://weatheringthrutechdays.blogspot.com/2013/07/scala-dsl-for-mahout-in-core-linear.html

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.