Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2009/09/21 18:56:30 UTC

[2.x] assembly-xml unit testing dependencies

This is another dependency issue I'm afraid.

While instigating the new model builders I notice that several of the
assembly-xml unit tests now fail. This is because these tests use the
builders but with invalid composites. The composites have many
implementations and bindings that are/can not be referenced by
assembly-xml. This leads to null implementations and empty binding
collections that the builders are not expecting.

I added some null checks to allow the tests to run and even then I
have to comment out the policy promotion one (my null tests are not in
precisely the same place as in the old builders). However this doesn't
feel like the right approach to me. I'd rather have tests in
assembly-xml that are designed to run there properly without needing
special checks in the builders.

Thoughts?

Simon

Re: [2.x] assembly-xml unit testing dependencies

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> This is another dependency issue I'm afraid.
>
> While instigating the new model builders I notice that several of the
> assembly-xml unit tests now fail. This is because these tests use the
> builders but with invalid composites. The composites have many
> implementations and bindings that are/can not be referenced by
> assembly-xml. This leads to null implementations and empty binding
> collections that the builders are not expecting.

These type of tests looks more like integration tests to me.

> I added some null checks to allow the tests to run and even then I
> have to comment out the policy promotion one (my null tests are not in
> precisely the same place as in the old builders). However this doesn't
> feel like the right approach to me. I'd rather have tests in
> assembly-xml that are designed to run there properly without needing
> special checks in the builders.

I'll probably agree here, and suggest we stick to the minimal valid
composites in the assembly-xml and move the "integration type"  tests
somewhere else, where the other bindings, implementation would be
available ...

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende