Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Houghton <mi...@idle.org> on 2000/07/20 15:04:53 UTC

Apache::ASP, newline conventions, and the Macintosh

Hi.

 I hope I'm not raising a well known bug (couldn't find mention of it on the
lists), but I've encountered an issue with Apache-ASP and the macintosh.

 In order to keep my customers firmly at the centre of my design, I'm using
a macintosh (GoLive 4) to edit the ASP templates in my current project. I'm
sharing the files from a linux box, using a netatalk configuration.

 The problem is this:

 <%
    warn "this is a line of code";

    # this is a comment

    warn "this is a line of code too";

  %>

 If this code is typed in from the mac, the second line won't run. It gets
swallowed up by the comment. This is, it seems to me, because of the
differing newline conventions between Mac OS and Unix. (if I'm not
hallucinating, Mac OS just uses a LF)

 I think I can work around this (and no, not by taking out the comments ;)
by setting netatalk to do CR/LF translation. However, it seems to me that
this won't catch the problem all the time - if my customers upload files
using binary FTP, for instance...

 I'm encountering this problem with Apache-ASP 1.9.3 and mod_perl 1.2.1. Are
there any subsequent releases that don't suffer from this?

 Hope this helps.

 Mike Houghton

--
Michael Houghton <mi...@idle.org>  p +44 1491 873567 f +44 870 705 8337
"You ever believed in BIG STRONG DADDY-LEGS? And do you believe in BAD

oops (was: Apache::ASP, newline conventions, and the Macintosh)