Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/08/12 01:36:51 UTC

10.2.1.0 beta candidate available for testing

Please test-drive the 10.2.1.0 beta candidate, available at
http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.0-beta/. I have updated the
10.2 release page to direct you to the beta candidate:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease. I have also updated the
snapshot description page with more up-to-date status:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot.

If you have contributed features or fixes to 10.2, please take a moment
to review the wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease)
to make sure that it accurately reflects the state of your work and any
corresponding documentation.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release so far. Also, a
big thanks in advance to our user community for helping us test-drive
10.2 and production-harden it.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: 10.2.1.0 beta candidate available for testing

Posted by David Van Couvering <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Great work, everyone!  Blogged as promised:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/08/derby_102_beta.html

David

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>Hi Kathey,
>>
>>Thanks for bringing up this issue. I appreciate all of your help as I
>>plod through this. Right now we just have a distribution with "beta" in
>>its release id. I think that this distribution exceeds the low bar set
>>by that web page: "This [beta designation] indicates that it is expected
>>to compile and perform basic tasks. However, there may be problems with
>>this release that prohibit its widespread adoption." However, to
>>technically qualify as an Apache beta, we need to schedule a vote. I
>>will do that.
>>

>Is the "beta" the same as the "release candidate" mentioned in your
>initial planning posts?
>
>Or do you see a strong beta moving to release candidate?

Hi Jean,

I don't think that this beta can become a release. It has some serious
defects, including the licensing issues. However, those defects do not
prevent users from testing the completed features. I'm hoping we will
get significant feedback during this beta period so that the next
distribution can be a serious release candidate

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.