Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by bc...@rsn.hp.com on 2001/11/30 19:20:10 UTC

"come back later" page service

hello,

let's say you have a website that you know you will bring down every week
at a
particular time, and you want to inform the user with a nice html page
(might be static) stating "we are doing maintenance  , please come back
later" or the like.

the problem is that it should display the page whatever page is requested:
whatever path, also either static or dynamic.

what are the options , please ?

i surely do not want to reinvent the wheel ;-)

thx,
Ben-

Re: "come back later" page service

Posted by "Trever M. Shick" <ts...@objectwave.com>.
We did this with an apache server acting as a reverse proxy.  Proxy A would
proxy to Server B. then on proxy A we set up an error document for an error
401 which was local (401 being a local proxy error).

This way, the proxy would forward the request to server a, but if it
couldn't connect, it would fail to the error document which had a message
that the server was undergoing temporary maintenance.

It works well.

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Thank you for explaining that to me.  I am kind of new to Apache.  That was
something that I had wondered about.

Posted by "Trever M. Shick" <ts...@objectwave.com>.

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.
Joshua,

Watching this conversation: from what I can see is that if you need
to meet the conditions that are being asked.  You would need to edit
the page each time you did maintaince to the server?  I believe from what
I heard it was something that he needed to be automatic.  Is that not an
option??

Steven

On 11/30/2001 at 2:59 PM Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 bciceron@rsn.hp.com wrote:
>
>> the problem is that it should display the page whatever page is
>requested:
>> whatever path, also either static or dynamic.
>>

>There are lots of ways to do this.  Here's one:
>
><Location />
>Order allow,deny
>deny from all
>ErrorDocument 403 /come_back_later.html
></Location>
>
>Here's another:
>
>AliasMatch .* /path_to/come_back_later.html
>
>Joshua.

Re: "come back later" page service : thx !

Posted by bc...@rsn.hp.com.
thx to everybody, we got it to work !

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

--
-- On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 bciceron@rsn.hp.com wrote:
--
-- > the problem is that it should display the page whatever page is requested:
-- > whatever path, also either static or dynamic.
-- >

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.