Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2011/10/21 16:18:39 UTC

Patches and responses

Simon,

You wrote (JENA-131)
"""
I don't like the way this is handled.
"""

We can not automatically apply a patch the moment it arrives.

You may find it inconvenient that a patch, that works for something only
you observe, and only reported by you on the IBM JRE, is delayed.

What would speed the process up is responding to questions on the JIRA
give sufficient details to recreate the situation.

Key here is understanding why the patch works for you.  Maybe it is
masking a deeper flaw.

	Andy

Re: Patches and responses

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 21/10/11 15:27, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Hi,
> I just want to add my apologies on this.
>
> I acted too quickly and I committed the proposed changes without
> experiencing the issue myself.

Not really ...

> Not an excuse, but SVN is there for helping dealing with mistakes.
> Again, not an excuse, but in this case the patch changed only 2
> lines, so easy reversible.
 >
> I left the issue marked as "Resolved", but I did not "Close" it.
> I usually do this to signal that a confirmation from others would
> be good. Indeed, this is what happened.

Indeed - that has worked well.

I want to understand the problem and suspect that if there is a bug,
it's rather worse than accessing that array.

I have spent an hour on JENA-143 as well and completely failed to
reproduce any problem.

If anyone wants commercial support, then my employer will be delighted
to provide it.

> We can now all focus on finding what's the cause of this problem.
> If it's a bug, I just want to identify it and fix it.

Exactly.

	Andy

Re: Patches and responses

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.