Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Fabien Kerbouci <fk...@opensense.fr> on 2017/05/19 14:17:51 UTC

Bug Submit - Critical

Hello,

I have no idea how to submit a bug : amongst all the help given to
participate to the project, submitting a bug is the hardest and least
documented, neither is easy to do. So I hope this email will reach the
proper hands on your side :-)

The bug is easy to reproduce:

1 - Create a topic with dots inside the name (eg: test.test2.test3)

2 - Mark the topic for deletion

3 - Stop the server (using the stop service kafka command, which is an ugly
kill -9 in behind...)

4 - Restart the server: it will say that it cannot find the topic to
delete, because it seems to look for an extension but instead finds a topic
name part.

This is a simble mistake: the string is splitted on the dots, and instead
of taking the last element of the list returned by the split() it seems to
look for the first element + 1 (hence thinking topic is test and its
extension is test2.test3.log). So the server crashes and is impossible to
restore/restart until you perform a manual deletion.

A fix and a cleaner shutdown method which will prevent creating "corrupted
index files" is welcomed :-D

Thank awesome guys

Have a good day

--

Fabien KERBOUCI

M. +33 (0) 6 75 45 56 62 | T. +33 (0) 1 85 08 88 83

6, rue Antonin Raynaud - 92300 Levallois-Perret

fkerbouci@opensense.fr | www.opensense.fr

Re: Bug Submit - Critical

Posted by J Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
Fixing the subject line in my previous reply. Not sure what happened there.

-Jaikiran
On 19-May-2017, at 8:06 PM, J Pai <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

This sounds like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-5232. It’s been fixed a few days back in upstream and will be available in next releases.

Having said that, you note something about split() method which wasn’t applicable here. Which version of Kafka are you on? Can you paste the complete exception stacktrace that you are running into?

-Jaikiran

Re: Jenkins build is back to normal : kafka-0.11.0-jdk7 #3

Re: Bug Submit - Critical

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Fabien,

This has already been fixed, see:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/f56bbb6510df8c12db3ad075e2f6c78dd0092d60
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/1ca2b1aacc2994e441c1a949310129d3e78532b5

To file issues in the future, please go to:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA

Thanks,
Ismael