Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Parveen Pasha <ph...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/08 19:23:07 UTC

Help !!! Tomcat 5.5.7 - cannot start

Using Tomcat 5.5 + Fedora Core 3 + jdk1.5.02

Changed the port to 8090 from the default 8080
port in server.xml.

Did not install the runtime environment. only
installed jdk1.5.02 using the
rpm -iv jdk-1_5_0_02-linux-i586-rpm

When I execute the startup.sh script, I receive the
following error in Catalina.out

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:198)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:386)

Cannot view the default web applications included with
Tomcat when accessing via  http://localhost:8090

I receive the following message: The page cannot be
displayed.

I did not find any solution on the Web. Can someone
help.

Thanks! Thanks! ............

Parveen

Re: Help !!! Tomcat 5.5.7 - cannot start

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
The simplest thing to do would be to open a command prompt (if you are
on windows) and type
echo %CLASSPATH%
and then hit enter / return key.

The jars that have been added to the classpath are shown - ensure that
u have catalina.jar or j2ee.jar.

If you are not sure open the jar files using something like winzip and
check for the existence of the class file.

HTH
-Anoop

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: Help !!! Tomcat 5.5.7 - cannot start

Posted by Robert Harrison <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
Just make sure you have included catalina.jar file in the classpath.

-Anoop

On Apr 8, 2005 1:23 PM, Parveen Pasha <ph...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Using Tomcat 5.5 + Fedora Core 3 + jdk1.5.02
>
> Changed the port to 8090 from the default 8080
> port in server.xml.
>
> Did not install the runtime environment. only
> installed jdk1.5.02 using the
> rpm -iv jdk-1_5_0_02-linux-i586-rpm
>
> When I execute the startup.sh script, I receive the
> following error in Catalina.out
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
>         at
> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
> Method)
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:198)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:386)
>
> Cannot view the default web applications included with
> Tomcat when accessing via  http://localhost:8090
>
> I receive the following message: The page cannot be
> displayed.
>
> I did not find any solution on the Web. Can someone
> help.
>
> Thanks! Thanks! ............
>
> Parveen

Thanks and best regards,