Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2018/01/23 10:45:00 UTC

Google Summer of Code 2018

Hi all,

Apache is gearing up for Google Summer of Code 2018. All Apache projects
have been invited to submit their ideas for GSoC projects.

For those not familiar with GSoC, the idea is during that students will use
their summer break to embark on a 3-month programming project with an open
source organisation.

If we want to take part then we simply need to come up with some suitable
ideas and open a JIRA ticket with suitable labels. We'll also need mentors
to work with our students - mentors will need to keep a continuous dialog
with their student and expect to consume 3-5 hours a week in that role.

**Deadline for this is 30th January - Tuesday next week**

Any ideas for GSoC projects - projects that can be completed in 3 months by
a student?

Our GUI is somewhat dated - a replacement GUI project?

A project to add support for updating a blueprint of a running application?

Anything else?

A bit more information from Ulrich Stärk who is running the Apache side of
GSoC:

Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing
students to spend their summer working on open source software. Students
will receive stipends for developing open source software full-time for
three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas, and in
return have the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly -
to identify and bring in new committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual
projects don't have to apply
separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following
things as soon as
possible but please no later than 2017-01-30:

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Final call for more ideas for GSoC projects - please post to this thread
TODAY if you have an idea!

Cheers
Richard.

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@cloudsoft.io>.
Aside: I've had second thoughts on JWT.  I think it's not suitable for what
we discussed, after reading this:
http://cryto.net/~joepie91/blog/2016/06/13/stop-using-jwt-for-sessions/.
Think particularly about how you would log out, or invalidate a token if a
user's credentials were compromised (you can't, basically).   This thread's
not the place to discuss this but I wouldn't suggest it in connection with
GSoC.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi all.

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Richard.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
I've added a proposal here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BROOKLYN-577

GSoC: Modernise Brooklyn's authentication system

Apache Brooklyn currently uses a simple authentication/authorisation
system. Runtime authentication relies on HTTP Basic Authentication. While
this has been satisfactory for some time, it has many shortcomings. HTTP
Basic Authentication caches credentials on the client side, which is a
weakness. It's not possible for a server policy to enforce session expiry
timeouts. Even trivial things such as providing a "logout" button are
difficult to reliably implement. This makes enterprise adoption of Brooklyn
problematic as it cannot comply with the security policy requirements that
enterprises typically have.

Apache Brooklyn's authorisation systems on the server side are basic.
Usernames and passwords can be put into the server configuration by an
administrator. This means that users do not have the ability to change
their own password, and enterprise security policies such as password
rotation cannot be supported. (As an alternative, Brooklyn can integrate
with external directory services, but it is often overkill to deploy a
heavy directory server alongside a Brooklyn server.)

This project would be to overhaul Apache Brooklyn's login system to a
modern system.

More on the JIRA ticket.