Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Renda, Michael" <mi...@info-resonance.com> on 2003/09/19 02:18:28 UTC

Application Configuration

Hi,

I'm having a simple application configuration problem.

1.  Tomcat 4.1.27

2.  I can run all of the applications in the examples directory.

3.  I've created a new directory structure called myApp.  Within it is
WEB-INF and within that is classes.  Within myApp/WEB-INF/classes is a
servlet called TestingServlet.

4.  I put a simple .jsp page in the /myApp directory and Tomcat serves
it up just fine.

5.  I cannot access the TestingServlet page, however.  Tomcat reports a
404 - requested resource is not available.

6.  If I move the servlet to the examples/WEB-INF/classes directory,
Tomcat serves it up.

7.  The myApp/WEB-INF directory has a web.xml file as follows:
<!DOCTYPE web-app
<web-app>
    <display-name>My Java Applications</display-name>
    <description>
      Example servlets and JSP pages.
    </description>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>Testing</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>TestingServlet</servlet-class>
    </servlet>
</web-app>

8.  The log files show that the myApp application is being deployed at
Tomcat startup with no errors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike Renda

Re: Application Configuration

Posted by Dirk Griesbach <dg...@eurocom-depora.de>.
Michael,

the servlet-mapping is missung in your web-xml:
add the following:

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>
            "your servlet
        </servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>
            "the URL through which it should be accessible"
        </url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

Hope this helps

Dirk

Posted by Rishikesh Tembe <ri...@eml.cc>.
Do you really need to have webapps/examples/myApp/* ?

Otherwise, just have webapps/myApp/*
and create a context for "myApp"...

-Rishi.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:18:28 -0400, "Renda, Michael"
<mi...@info-resonance.com> said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a simple application configuration problem.
>
> 1.  Tomcat 4.1.27
>
> 2.  I can run all of the applications in the examples directory.
>
> 3.  I've created a new directory structure called myApp.  Within it is
> WEB-INF and within that is classes.  Within myApp/WEB-INF/classes is a
> servlet called TestingServlet.
>
> 4.  I put a simple .jsp page in the /myApp directory and Tomcat serves
> it up just fine.
>
> 5.  I cannot access the TestingServlet page, however.  Tomcat reports a
> 404 - requested resource is not available.
>
> 6.  If I move the servlet to the examples/WEB-INF/classes directory,
> Tomcat serves it up.
>
> 7.  The myApp/WEB-INF directory has a web.xml file as follows:
> 	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
> <web-app>
>     <display-name>My Java Applications</display-name>
>     <description>
>       Example servlets and JSP pages.
>     </description>
>     <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>Testing</servlet-name>
>         <servlet-class>TestingServlet</servlet-class>
>     </servlet>
> </web-app>
>
> 8.  The log files show that the myApp application is being deployed at
> Tomcat startup with no errors.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Mike Renda

  Rishikesh Tembe
  rishi_learns@eml.cc

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely differentÂ…

Re: Application Configuration

Posted by Rishikesh Tembe <ri...@eml.cc>.

<mi...@info-resonance.com> said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a simple application configuration problem.
>
> 1.  Tomcat 4.1.27
>
> 2.  I can run all of the applications in the examples directory.
>
> 3.  I've created a new directory structure called myApp.  Within it is
> WEB-INF and within that is classes.  Within myApp/WEB-INF/classes is a
> servlet called TestingServlet.
>
> 4.  I put a simple .jsp page in the /myApp directory and Tomcat serves
> it up just fine.
>
> 5.  I cannot access the TestingServlet page, however.  Tomcat reports a
> 404 - requested resource is not available.
>
> 6.  If I move the servlet to the examples/WEB-INF/classes directory,
> Tomcat serves it up.
>
> 7.  The myApp/WEB-INF directory has a web.xml file as follows:
> 	<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
> <web-app>
>     <display-name>My Java Applications</display-name>
>     <description>
>       Example servlets and JSP pages.
>     </description>
>     <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>Testing</servlet-name>
>         <servlet-class>TestingServlet</servlet-class>
>     </servlet>
> </web-app>
>
> 8.  The log files show that the myApp application is being deployed at
> Tomcat startup with no errors.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Mike Renda

  Rishikesh Tembe