Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Steve Resnick <st...@ducksfeet.com> on 1997/09/12 17:30:05 UTC

mod_log-any/1127: Log files for main server and virtual hosts are written with different UID/GID

>Number:         1127
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Log files for main server and virtual hosts are written with different UID/GID
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.2.4
>Environment:
Linux la 2.0.30 #19 Thu Aug 14 15:13:47 PDT 1997 i486
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.1
                                  -- And --
SunOS genesis 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
Reading specs from /opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.7.2/specs
gcc version 2.7.2

When my server starts up my main server's log files are owned by www:www
which is what the server runs as. (according to User and Group directives)

When the virtual servers write their logs they are owned by root:root.
>How-To-Repeat:
Start the server w/ at least one virtual server with an empy log directoy and
do an ls -l
>Fix:
This is only a guess, but it would  seem the logs are created by the server before
the setuid() call. (Or whatever the server does to do an effective su) If this were the case making the setuid call before the logs are created would fix this.
%0