Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/06 22:06:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove amalgamation

Hi

I would like to propose to remove amalgamation from MXNet and CI, users
have reported that they couldn't use it successfully in Android, and
instead they were able to use the cross compiled docker build successfully.

Any reason why we shouldn't remove this hacky solution?

Pedro.

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove amalgamation

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
I went down the path for this and was disuaded by the errors I had and the
open issues about the same errors. It's one thing to leave something around
that works, but another to leave something around that wastes a lot of time
and causes abandonment.

The project needs a mobile solution. What's there doesn't cut it, IMO. It
needs some love...

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.
I can recall that we had quite a few issues where people tried to use
amalgamation. Have we identified these use cases so far and documented the
alternative.

I think the compilation only takes a few seconds and I think we also have
some nightly tests for it. So far it seemed very low maintenance, so I'd
lean towards keeping it. But if there's literally nobody using it and it's
no longer useful, I'm happy to see it removed.

Do we have some data on amalgamation usage?

-Marco

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
The main trade off is that you can do it as long as the all the dependency
is contained easy to build. If you start to involve things like cuda code
you want to switch to formal build system. That is why I explained most
usecases is for a small runtime component

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Junru Shao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lv, Tao A" <ta...@intel.com>.
Sorry to chime in.

There is a PR to fix amalgamation. I was pinged several times to merge it but I don't think I have enough knowledge to do that. So it would be great if someone from this thread can help to review.

thanks,
-tao

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anirudh

Posted by "Skalicky, Sam" <ss...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
Heres some foundation for “hacky” in computer science:

Calling a piece of code hacky isn’t the same as saying it’s bad, the code just doesn’t have infrastructure around it. You can probably already piece together why they call hackers hackers, and hackathons hackathons — hacks just need to run once. The whole goal of hacking is to succeed once.

Most big companies started with a hacky solution. Twitter’s hack was literally input.truncate(140) in the language it was written in (Ruby). Instagram was an image filtering app. OKCupid was a questionnaire. Reddit started with posts and comments in the same database table.

By contrast, not hacky code has thorough tests, runs in different environments, and generally supports a team of developers working on it. It’s in a shared repository somewhere, carefully maintained like a zen garden. When your software needs to run for two, three, or ten years… you can reuse some concept from a hacky prototype, but it can’t stay hacky.

https://medium.com/@tholex/what-is-hacky-code-18308018fc33

Thinks being hacky isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it might not have been the goal at the time to flush out all the possibilities and productionize the code into a zen garden. However, we shouldn’t remove code just because its hacky either.

Sam

wrote:

Apache mentors should have a look at these reincident harassment and
destructive behaviors which demotivate contributions and take action. It
takes only one bad apple to ruin a community.

The mobile solution that is known to work as of know is cross compiling
with "ci/build.py -p build.android_armv8" or "build.android_armv7". The
only advantage of amalgamation is to provide a smaller binary that we could
accomplish with the C preprocessor.

My technical contributions speak for themselves, including porting MXNet to

pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>>

Posted by Anirudh Subramanian <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pedro,

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.
Alright, let's get back to the actual topic.

ARMv7 and ARMv8 are covered by our separate pipelines, so that's good. But
I still would like to identify the blind spots that we would be creating.
Are there other use cases where people like to use Amalgamation? I remember
the Javascript version and Android, but are there more? Maybe someone has
an idea how we can gather some data - feel free to shoot some thoughts and
I'm happy to run the queries.

-Marco

Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 8. Sep. 2019,
07:18: