Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/12/18 09:03:19 UTC

Release 1.0 New Build Available

I have rebuilt the 1.0 server with the following JIRA's incorporated and this
was at Committed revision 357442 of subversion.

The server started successfully on my system (Mac OS) for both Tomcat and Jetty.
  I wiped out my Maven repo before rebuilding so to the best of my knowledge it
works on my system and should work on yours.

The images are available at http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/geronimo-1.0

The files are:

geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.0-20051218.tar.gz
geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.0-20051218.zip

geronimo-jetty-j2ee-1.0-20051218.tar.gz
geronimo-jetty-j2ee-1.0-20051218.zip

Note: These files extract into ./geronimo-1.0 which is different than the file
name.  Please ensure that any previous release of Geronimo installed in that
directory tree has been removed.

Please take time to download and run through the images and verify they start
and stop without errors (there are some known ActiveMQ errors at shutdown around
connection problems.  I believe these can safely be ignored and will be fixed in
  a near term release.)

Post comments back to the list and we'll incorporate the changes quickly and
keep the train moving.

I have not had time to download and retest these images to make sure they made
it up correctly.  Any problems reply back to this thread.

Mr. Blevins and Mr. Jencks, I hate to impose on you but can you start a TCK run
on this build and barring any major issues this might be it so it would be good
to have verification of the build.

Thanks

- Matt

Here is the list of defects incorporated into this build.

Completed
GERONIMO-1363 - DayTrader still using old geronimo-spec files - applied by Matt
GERONIMO-1364 - update welcome pages to point at HTTP redirects in the
geronimo.apache.org site
GERONIMO-1372 - Exception during startup - TradeEJB - Fixed per Dain
GERONIMO-1373 - DB info portlet not working correctly - Applied by Matt
GERONIMO-1375 - Invalid login to console should not produce stack trace
GERONIMO-1377 - Startup Warning on tomcat - unknown default host. - Fixed by Jeff

Deferring to 1.1
GERONIMO-1371 - Geronimo startup/shutdown issues

Re: Release 1.0 New Build Available

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
Looks like the redirect at
http://geronimo.apache.org/redirects/additionalSamples.html needs to be
updated to the new location of the samples.  A link to the new location
is shown on the old page.

Re: Realmless security. Was: Release 1.0 New Build Available

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
So after some IRC discussion, it looks like this is not on the table
for 1.0 (instead, we're looking at a simpler fix to reject deployments
on Jetty which have web.xml security but not geronimo-web.xml
security).

I tried for the fix described below and I could not get it to work in
the time I spent on it.  I changed JettyWebAppContext to set a
JettyJAASRealm pointing to a non-existant Geronimo realm, and also to
construct a generic DefaultPrincipal.  Then I had to change
SecurityContextBeforeAfter.obtainUser to not blow up if there was no
set of checked and excluded permissions specified.  But it still ended
up generating a 403 for a web app with no security at all in
SecurityContextBeforeAfter.checkSecurityConstraints when it called
AccessControlContext.checkPermissions.  So I think probably
JettyModuleBuilder needs to change to apply the right JACC stuff even
if no Geronimo security information is provided.  But that's as far as
I got, so I'm not really sure.

If you can come up with a patch for this (for 1.0.1) that would be great.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Why *not* put up an RC that we can release (i.e. distribute for
people to work with rather than an unofficial candidate that we put
in some persons directory)?

Can you give a reason why you are against the RC?  1.0 is important
for the whole project.  It's really a big accomplishment.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Release 1.0 New Build Available

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
-1 to doing an rc

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
+1

geirm@apache.org

Re: Release 1.0 New Build Available

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Aaron, Dain,

It's the release manager's call, which ones to "sneak in" :)

thanks,
dims

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
I think a security issue is worth delaying a release for. It sounds like
it should be simple to fix.

Jan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Another major problem:

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
-1 to all "fixes"

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Thanks Dave.  I think we can do that.  Since its not a code change it should be
pretty easy.  Keep us honest as the time progresses.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
     I have used geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.0-20051218.zip
and have tested all the issues mentioned here on win
XP. They all have been fixed.

thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com