Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com> on 2022/12/26 18:12:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] State of the Arrow Project 2022

Hi all,

I am very excited and honored to help steer the Arrow Project this year as
Arrow PMC Chair.

Something Kou suggested, and the PMC thought would be valuable, is to have
a small retrospective about the state of the project and where we want to
take it. I would like to try doing so via a  “state of the project” type
discussion on this mailing list, inspired by an example from Apache Calcite
[1].

I welcome any / all comments on the following topics: What things /
activities, if any, do you you think the Apache Arrow Community should:

1. Continue
2. Start
3. Stop

My thoughts are below.

Andrew

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/tx8gw3vxc4kwfzjs6q2gqwgywnsm1zbf

Continue:

I hope we can continue to encourage and support community growth, focused
especially on supporting the sub projects and their leadership. I also
would like to continue and grow the outward facing evangelism about the
project with blog posts and presentations.

Start:

Lower the barrier to contributors and accepting those contributions even
more, especially for casual contributors. The move to github issues from
JIRA I see as one example of lowering this barrier (by reducing the
required account maintenance). I would love to see additional improvements
in areas like documentation, examples, no-invite-needed chat, etc.

Stop:

It would be nice to stop (reduce) the reliance on the relatively small
number of core contributors for code review. I don’t have any particular
insight on how to accomplish this, and suspect we will always have less
review capacity than we would like, but it would be nice to encourage the
growth.

Re: [DISCUSS] State of the Arrow Project 2022

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.
Start:

There have been a few calls in the past for an improved workflow for
reviewing PRs.  I think a bot that highlights pull requests that need
attention (e.g. has no reviews in the "changes requested" state, also
some way of knowing how long it's been waiting) would be helpful.

There has been some discussion on how we encourage community
contribution.  I think, in addition to these suggestions, we should
create content that encourages and guides community maintenance.  This
might help with the PR review burden as well. For example, one does
not need to be an expert in the language or the design in order to
review and make suggestions on user facing API changes (in fact, one
might argue that users are less likely to make incorrect decisions due
to design burden).  Someone that knows a language well but not
necessarily the library design could still help check for style issues
(e.g. moves, references, etc. in C++).  Github/ASF have a
"contributor" role that can be given to individuals that allows them
some labelling / PR maintenance permissions without write access.  We
could have a policy for this and encourage people to help close /
revive stale PRs (or ping potential reviewers if it looks like a PR is
stale because it is lacking review).

Continue:

The c data interface, streaming interface, ADBC, etc. are very cool
and allow for more seamless intra-process communication.  However,
this is a rather complex topic.  For example, it is not obvious why
something called "the C data interface" would be useful when
connecting (for example) a Rust library to a Java library.  I think we
should continue to develop these APIs as well as spread general
developer awareness of the topics.

The community focus of the Arrow project is great.  A lot of effort is
put into CI, various build environments, and aiming to support as wide
of a developer base as possible.  At the same time there are various
independent Arrow projects that overlap to some degree and yet they
all (from what I can see) encourage and inspire each other.  I don't
know how unique this is in open source development but I've found it
to be non-existent in private development.  I want to congratulate
this community for being so awesome.  Development is always a series
of ups and downs and I'd encourage us all, even when frustrated, to
continue extending the helping hand to the community (both
contributors and users).

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.

Posted by Will Jones <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Kevin.

Posted by Kevin Gurney <kg...@mathworks.com>.
[...]

2. Use pull request templates. This would hopefully make it easier for both new and existing contributors to describe their changes in a focused and clear way to others. For example, when making pull requests related to the MATLAB interface, we've been trying to follow a fairly consistent pattern for pull request descriptions which includes sections like "Overview", "Implementation", "Testing", "Future Directions", "Notes", etc.

Stop:

1. +1 to Andrew's point about the reliance on a small number of core contributors for code reviews. Documenting a process for determining who should be included on a code review would be helpful.

[1] https://www.datawill.io/posts/apache-arrow-2022-reflection/<https://www.datawill.io/posts/apache-arrow-2022-reflection>

Posted by Dewey Dunnington <de...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Will Jones <wi...@gmail.com>.