Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Rene' Rosenbaum <re...@meecoda.de> on 2014/04/01 09:36:38 UTC

Re: Getting screensharing application signed

Hi Maxime,
thanks for your help! I took some code from 3.0 and merged it into the
build.xml. Works well from that point of view. However, it seems a
specific code signing certificate is necessary to get the code signed
with an individual fingerprint. An ordinary server certificate doesn't
work (according to the web community).
best regards,
Rene'

~~~~~~~
*Dr.-Ing. Rene' Rosenbaum
meeCoda^IT  *  - Consulting and Services
  ~: Neue Reihe 15, 18182 Goorstorf, Germany
  #: ++49-(0)-1781408041
  @:info@meecoda.de  <ma...@meecoda.de>
//:www.meecoda.de  <http://www.meecoda.de>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ +++ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 3/1/2014 6:34 PM, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> I would use the server one.
> you need to create java keystore using it and put it instead of generated
> one into build folder
> then run
> ant -Dskip.sign.key.generation=true signWebStartJars
>
> (should work in 3.0/3.1, never tried it since i have no "real certificate")
>

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Rene' Rosenbaum <re...@meecoda.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Maxime,
>> thanks for your quick response! Found the location at build.xml, but not
>> sure what to do next. We got a server certificate for the domain
>> OpenMeetings is running, and I was under the impression I have to use this
>> certificate to sign the WebStartJar. Or do I need a completely different
>> one (similar to the one used to communicate between red5 and the Flash
>> client (as described in /trunk/docs/RTMPSAndHTTPS.html))?
>> Cheers,
>> Rene'
>>
>> ~~~~~~~
>> *Dr.-Ing. Rene' Rosenbaum
>> meeCoda^IT  *  - Consulting and Services
>>   ~: Neue Reihe 15, 18182 Goorstorf, Germany
>>   #: ++49-(0)-1781408041
>>   @:info@meecoda.de  <ma...@meecoda.de>
>> //:www.meecoda.de  <http://www.meecoda.de>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ +++ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> On 3/1/2014 6:04 PM, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
>>
>>> hello Rene,
>>>
>>> current certificate being used is generated by ant (search build.xml for
>>> "genkey")
>>> 3.0/3.1 versions contains modifications for using different certificate
>>> for

Posted by Roberto Resoli <ro...@resolutions.it>.
Il 02/04/2014 14:13, Roberto Resoli ha scritto:
> Il 02/04/2014 13:34, rene@meecoda.de ha scritto:
> It seems
>> some server certificates can do the signing and some not. Confusing!!!
>
> Yes. Certification Authorities sell different Certs, whith different
> pricing, for that.

I created an english version of the HowTo:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/j4sign/wiki/HowtoSignCode_en

Regarding code signing in recent Oracle JVMs, there are lot of
restriction introduced, in particular with 1.7.0_51 i noted that
the certificate for code signing has to have a CRL or OCSP verification
attribute (or both), and the URL specified in the attribute has to point
to a working revocation check service in order the verification (with
default JVM security settings) to pass.

I will provide related modifications into openssl.conf defaults in my
howto very soon.

rob

Posted by Roberto Resoli <ro...@resolutions.it>.
Il 02/04/2014 13:34, rene@meecoda.de ha scritto:
> Dear Rob,
> thanks a lot for your response. I had a look at the example and it seems
> it describes the use of a self-signed certificate

No, the examople explains how:

1) Create an own CA using openssl
2) Import the CA certificate (not the private key) inside a keystore.
3) Use java "keytool" to create  a cople of keys inside the keystore,
and a CSR (Certification Signing Request) for the public key.
4) Use openssl to sign that CSR with the CA, generating a suitable
codesign cert.
5) Import the generated codesign certificate into the keystore)

The keystore can then be used for signing java code (we use an ant task
for this, as well as openmeetings)

(couldn't figure out
> where a third party issues or verifies the certificate used for
> signing).

They cannot, if they don't trust your CA. If you want the certificate to
be trusted, you have to have the signing certificate to be signed and
generated by a Certification Authority trusted by your java environment.

If you control the target environment, it's matter of importing the CA
(into the user environment) using the control panel applet or issuing a
"keytool -import" towards the JVM-wide cacerts keystore.

This already works in standard OM(2/3). What I need are
> instructions on how to use an existing (trusted and verified class 2
> server-)certificate for code signing.

You can't. SSL Server certificate ordinarily cannot be used fore code
signing.

It seems our OM/build.xml setup is
> correct (incl. the keystore) as we get the following error message:
>
> "This jar contains entries whose signer certificate's ExtendedKeyUsage
> extension doesn't allow code signing."

Exactly. You need an ExtendedKeyUsage of "objsign" for that, It is
normally not included in SSL Server certificates.

See the line:

nsCertType = client, email, objsign

in the openssl.conf inside my howto.

> Doing some research, this points to a limitation of the
> (server-)certificate, which might not be used for code signing.

Absolutely.

Posted by re...@meecoda.de.
Dear Rob,
thanks a lot for your response. I had a look at the example and it
seems it describes the use of a self-signed certificate (couldn't
figure out where a third party issues or verifies the certificate used
for signing). This already works in standard OM(2/3). What I need are
instructions on how to use an existing (trusted and verified class 2
server-)certificate for code signing. It seems our OM/build.xml setup
is correct (incl. the keystore) as we get the following error message:

"This jar contains entries whose signer certificate's ExtendedKeyUsage
extension doesn't allow code signing."

Doing some research, this points to a limitation of the
(server-)certificate, which might not be used for code signing. It

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Never saw such error :(
Need to be googled :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Here is the example as well:

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Getting screensharing application signed

Posted by Roberto Resoli <ro...@resolutions.it>.

Posted by Roberto Resoli <ro...@resolutions.it>.

Posted by Rene' Rosenbaum <re...@meecoda.de>.
Hi,