Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David McNelis <dm...@agentisenergy.com> on 2011/11/30 14:24:03 UTC

Cleanup in a write-only environment

In my understanding Cleanup is meant to help clear out data that has  been
removed.  If you have an environment where data is only ever added (the
case for the production system I'm working with), is there a point to
automating cleanup?   I understand that if we were to ever purge a segment
of data from our cluster we'd certainly want to run it, or after added a
new node and adjusting the tokens.

So I want to make sure I'm not missing something here and that there  would
be other  reasons to run cleanup regularly?

--
*David McNelis*
Lead Software Engineer

*A Smart Grid technology company focused on helping consumers of energy
control an often under-managed resource.*

Re: Cleanup in a write-only environment

Posted by David McNelis <dm...@agentisenergy.com>.
Thanks, folks.

I think I must have read compaction, thought cleanup, and gotten muddled
from there.

David

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.
I believe you are mis-understanding what cleanup does. Cleanup is used
to remove data from a node that the node no longer owns. For example
when you move a node in the ring, it changes responsibility and gets
new data, but does not automatically delete the data it used to be
responsible for but no longer is. In this situation, you run cleanup
to delete all of that old data.

Data that has been deleted/expired will get removed automatically as
compaction runs.