Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Radhika_Singireddy <Ra...@mahindrasatyam.net> on 2009/09/23 12:34:56 UTC

OutofMemory-Heap Space

Hi All,

When I tried to execute a scenario with 10 concurrent users, following error has occurred. I have changed the settings and increased the heap size from 512m to 1024m and the execution was successful.

15:35:49 ERROR - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Test failed! java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Now, I have increased the duration of execution from 30 minutes to 60 minutes and tried executing the same scenario. Threads are stopped showing a message as below.

Java.lang.OutofMemoryError: Java heap space

Dumping heap to java_pid236.hprof ...

Heap dump file created[xxxxxxxxxx bytes in xx.xxx secs]

 Why are threads getting stopped?   Can anyone give a solution...

Regards

Radhika Singireddy

________________________________
DISCLAIMER:

Re: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean

RE: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by Radhika_Singireddy <Ra...@mahindrasatyam.net>.
Hi Deepak..Thanks for your quick response, could solve the issue to an extent.

Regards
Radhika Singireddy

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
see

RE: OutofMemory-Heap Space

No this error is due to jmeter not having memory (its possible jmeter code
may have a leak but it is more likely that your listeners cause this issue)
>Because by monitoring different metrics I found that the memory usage graph
value is maintained as constant and after a small >duration jmeter is
stopping the execution.
What did you monitor? You would need to check JMX console for this process.
If you measure OS memory you will see it as constant.
When you startup JMeter (or any Java process), it will allocate Xms memory
and can grow upto Xmx (ignoring other things like perm gen etc). Typically
Xms = Xmx and the Operating System will show you that constant memory is
being used (say 512MB for java). The heap out of memory means that all 512Mb
has been used up but the java app still needs more memory (but it cant grow
beyond Xmx , hence the exception)
regards
deepak

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Radhika_Singireddy <
Radhika_Singireddy@mahindrasatyam.net> wrote:

> Ok thanks for your reply...
> Can you tell me whether there is a chance that the objects are not properly
> garbage collected or the code(application) is occupying memory and not
> releasing the memory?
> Or is it only jmeter that's occupying more memory and causing this error?
>
> Because by monitoring different metrics I found that the memory usage graph
> value is maintained as constant and after a small duration jmeter is
> stopping the execution.
>
> Regards
> Radhika Singireddy

DISCLAIMER:

Re: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
There are a set of practices here
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean
As many as you can implement, the better it is (e.g. it takes less memory to
run in non-gui mode than it does in GUI mode)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Radhika_Singireddy <

RE: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by Radhika_Singireddy <Ra...@mahindrasatyam.net>.
So, can I solve this issue by removing View results tree listener..

Regards
Radhika Singireddy

the java garbage collector does that for you. The problem is you can only
free memory that isnt being used. If you have for e.g. the View results Tree
Listener then every response is in use and is in memory and cant be removed
. And its proportional to the number of requests 100 requests will always
occupy more memory than 10. Contrast this with an aggregate summary report
which isnt as bad..
regards
deepak

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Radhika_Singireddy <
Radhika_Singireddy@mahindrasatyam.net> wrote:

> Ok..I have monitored the server memory usage.
> I will try to reduce the listeners(View Results tree) and check for the
> response..also how can I release or free up the memory occupied by jmeter?
>

> Regards
> Radhika Singireddy

DISCLAIMER:

Re: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi

RE: OutofMemory-Heap Space

No this error is due to jmeter not having memory (its possible jmeter code
may have a leak but it is more likely that your listeners cause this issue)
>Because by monitoring different metrics I found that the memory usage graph
value is maintained as constant and after a small >duration jmeter is
stopping the execution.
What did you monitor? You would need to check JMX console for this process.
If you measure OS memory you will see it as constant.
When you startup JMeter (or any Java process), it will allocate Xms memory
and can grow upto Xmx (ignoring other things like perm gen etc). Typically
Xms = Xmx and the Operating System will show you that constant memory is
being used (say 512MB for java). The heap out of memory means that all 512Mb
has been used up but the java app still needs more memory (but it cant grow
beyond Xmx , hence the exception)
regards
deepak

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Radhika_Singireddy <
Radhika_Singireddy@mahindrasatyam.net> wrote:

> Ok thanks for your reply...
> Can you tell me whether there is a chance that the objects are not properly
> garbage collected or the code(application) is occupying memory and not
> releasing the memory?
> Or is it only jmeter that's occupying more memory and causing this error?
>
> Because by monitoring different metrics I found that the memory usage graph
> value is maintained as constant and after a small duration jmeter is
> stopping the execution.
>
> Regards
> Radhika Singireddy

DISCLAIMER:

Re: OutofMemory-Heap Space

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: OutofMemory-Heap Space

>Jmeter log is displaying:    Test failed! java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap space error. But the server log is not showing any error.
Thats because your jmeter client (which is also a java app) ran out of
memory, not your server
>What may be the possible cause? Is it because of memory leak or that Jmeter
is not able to handle it?
Its probably caused by a Listener(View results tree is the most problematic
one since it must store the entire response in memory). When running an
actual load test , follow as many of
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean as
you can.
Increasing Heap memory on jmeter will delay the out of memory
regards
deepak

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Radhika_Singireddy <
Radhika_Singireddy@mahindrasatyam.net> wrote:

> I have a quick question for the previous reply given to me.
> I have run a scenario with 50 concurrent users for one iteration or loop.
> I have run the same scenario with 50 concurrent users for 10 iterations,
> and the execution stopped after two iterations.
>
> Jmeter log is displaying:    Test failed! java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
> heap space error. But the server log is not showing any error.
>
> What may be the possible cause? Is it because of memory leak or that Jmeter
> is not able to handle it?
> I got this doubt as the application server log is not showing any errors
> while only Jmeter log is displaying this error.
> Please explain on how can we confirm whether there is a memory leak or not
> in an application?
>
> Regards
> Radhika Singireddy

DISCLAIMER: