Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Lixin Meng <lx...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/24 00:52:31 UTC

database root directory of Xindice 1.1b

When I run Xindice 1.1b with Tomcat 4.1.12, in Tomcate console, it shows:

---------------
Nov 23, 2002 3:10:23 PM org.apache.xindice.core.Database setConfig
INFO: Database points to C:\apps\Tomcat 4.1\.\db
Nov 23, 2002 3:10:24 PM org.apache.xindice.server.XindiceServlet init
---------------

However, I found the '\db' is actually created under directory:

------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Lixin Meng\Start Menu\Programs\Apache Tomcat 4.1\
------------

This is the directory where all those Windows menus goes (i.e. [Starts] ->
[Programs] -> [Apache Tomcat 4.1].

Any idea how can change it to somewhere else?

Lixin

RE: database root directory of Xindice 1.1b

Posted by Lixin Meng <lx...@yahoo.com>.
I agree. Frankly, I didn't know where and how to put that single trouble
shooting item. That's why I wrote previous email to make it at least
accessible from archive.

Lixin

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lixin Meng <lx...@yahoo.com>.
I wish I would have time to learn those rules and tools for writing
documents.

Lixin

 > Again, thanks for helping me out, and I hope above explanation can
provide
 > some hints to whoever can write a better FAQ.

Why not writing one yourself?

-Vladimir

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Posted by Michael Westbay <we...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Klemens-sensei wrote:

> We also found that the db seems to be created in c:/Windows/system32 if
> we did not modify the system.xml file specified and start tomcat as a
> service.

Right.  The "./db/" configuration means that it will be created in the
directory called "db" under the "current directory."  The "current directory"
is whereever you start Tomcat from.

This may become a serious problem for developers who are starting and stopping
Tomcat from different working directories while they are tuning an
application.

For the XML-RPC version, I would rather have the directory be relative to the
current servlet context.  With a default value of "/WEB-INF/db" (with logic
to make the leading '/' optional) I would know exactly where the database
should be.  Furthermore, this will work on all platforms the same.

The major drawback to this solution that I see is that one MUST expand the
.war file for use in order to have a writable directory available.  (I
haven't tested it, but I can't think of a reason why this won't run left in
its WAR state.)

I know that the XML-RPC servlet is just one example of how a server could be
built.  I just fear that having the default database storage location in a
completely unrelated directory (such at Windows' Start menu heirarchy) will
tend to confuse a lot of people getting started.  Having it under WEB-INF is
much more logical.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/

AW: database root directory of Xindice 1.1b

Posted by "Dr. Klemens Waldhör" <Wa...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

Glad that I could helkp you.

We also found that the db seems to be created in c:/Windows/system32 if
we did not modify the system.xml file specified and start tomcat as a
service.

Klemens